Starting Issue

Ok, so I have an odd problem I’m dealing with. Need some different opinions/input.

I have a 2009 JKU with LS swap + 6L80e tranny. Been running perfect for over a year now. I decided to install a Genesis dual battery tray and hit a snag during install. Once everything was installed, go to start and get ACC power (lights, radio, etc.) and no start or starter “click”. I’ve installed 2 brand new Odysee batteries and Here are the symptoms:

- no starter click whatsoever.
- turn key off, turn back on and no ACC power this time. Totally dead...
- disconnect battery and get ACC power again with no starter crank
- oddly key fob no longer works (lock, unlock, or auto-start)
- put meter on starter with no power to starter at all.

Here is what I’ve done so far with no joy...

- tested batteries and both are good
- re-installed old battery as it was and same result
- replaced key fob battery
- cleaned terminals and reconnected
- checked all fuses as well as pulled all fuses related to starting sequence to reset ECM, etc. (many threads on the security system resetting with pulling fuses to reset the system)
- put a scanner on Jeep side, no communication. Put it on GM side, no errors... shows normal.
- tried starting in N to rule out neutral switch on trans.

My thoughts...

- I may an have a ECM failure.

- The key has lost its programming to the Jeep. I’m thinking this because the lock/unlock/auto-start function stopped working completely. However, if the key has lost its programming, I am curious as to how the ACC power still comes on?

What’s my problem? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Moochie

I also have an LS engine in my 2008 JK and randomly have a similar no start issue. After doing a wiggle test it seems to respond to a small massage of this Bussman fuse/relay box. Maybe you have a like type relay box? Mine contains about 5 of the main relays needed for the GM side to function.

A picture of one I found on the Internet:
IMG_1121.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Try pulling the starter relay and jump it. You'll want to use a heavy gauge wire to do it. If it starts like I bet it will, you have a bad TIPM. Had the same problem not too long ago.

IMG_1737.JPG

I also have an LS engine in my 2008 JK and randomly have a similar no start issue. After doing a wiggle test it seems to respond to a small massage of this Bussman fuse/relay box. Maybe you have a like type relay box? Mine contains about 5 of the main relays needed for the GM side to function.

A picture of one I found on the Internet:
View attachment 317584

No mine uses RPM extreme kit so everything is factory fuse box

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting... have a link on how to do this specifically? I’ve never heard of this.

No link necessary. Just open your hood, remove the TIPM cover, pull the starter relay, turn the key to the ON position and then, using a 10 gauge wire, touch jump the 2 points that you see in the photo I posted. If you're in a pinch, you could use something like a paper clip but you had better wear gloves because it'll get stupid hot. This should bypass the security system and start your engine. I see that you have a 2009 JK? It'd be no surprise to me that your TIPM has gone bad even if you didn't have a motor swap. Only bummer thing is that reman units are really hard to come by these days and a new one will set you back $600-$800 or more.

No link necessary. Just open your hood, remove the TIPM cover, pull the starter relay, turn the key to the ON position and then, using a 10 gauge wire, touch jump the 2 points that you see in the photo I posted. If you're in a pinch, you could use something like a paper clip but you had better wear gloves because it'll get stupid hot. This should bypass the security system and start your engine. I see that you have a 2009 JK? It'd be no surprise to me that your TIPM has gone bad even if you didn't have a motor swap. Only bummer thing is that reman units are really hard to come by these days and a new one will set you back $600-$800 or more.

Ok I see what you did now that I zoomed in. I can certainly try this. Thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, just read what Exodus said. Didn't realize you didn't have a Motech setup. ASSUMING you had your key in the ON position when you tried this and it didn't work, it sounds like you may need to be looking at the GM box.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just to confirm, when I say the key needs to be in the ON position, I mean, the position that it needs to be in after your engine is started. Some people refer to this as the RUN position.

Just to confirm, when I say the key needs to be in the ON position, I mean, the position that it needs to be in after your engine is started. Some people refer to this as the RUN position.

Correct, the key was in the RUN position when I attempted to start via your recommendation.

If the sentinel key has lost its programming, would the motor still start with jumper the starter relay?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Correct, the key was in the RUN position when I attempted to start via your recommendation.

If the sentinel key has lost its programming, would the motor still start with jumper the starter relay?

Jumping your engine in this way should bypass all programming. At least, on a Motech setup.

Top Bottom