How many miles were on your TJ or LJ when you bought it.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
How many miles were on your TJ or LJ when you bought it.

I am really thinking about selling my JK and buying a TJ or LJ. I really have taken a liking to them. I found an 02 TJ, 4.0, 5-speed, soft top, dog hair, Warn winch, Warn bumpers, and about 136,000 on it. They are "asking" $8900. I drives very nice, no death wobble, new 33's and not sure on lift. Thoughts, suggestions, tips or talk me out of it would greatly be appreciated. I sent a pic to the wife and she called it a "wee jeep"! LOL!

IMG_20181226_114846818_HDR.jpg

Bear_JT

Hooked
Ok, so I’ve had I believe 4 TJ’s and 2 LJ’s. I was single living with my parents, and bored back then. Anyways, the TJ/ LJ is a great platform but does have some set backs. TJ’s can be a little scary on steep hill climbs compared to a JK, my brothers and I all crapped our pants at least once. The 4 cylinders are gutless and and the straight 6 is a big improvement but still doesn’t compare to the JK motors. Once you install a winch, larger tires, or armor you’ll think you have at least two extra large passengers with you. The TJ/LJ can fit into some really tight spots and maneuver very easily. If lifted above 4 inches you need a slip yoke eliminator kit or you will get some funky vibrations, especially at highway speeds. I enjoyed the hell out of my TJ’s and LJ’s and learned a lot about wrenching and driving but I don’t think I’d ever want to go backward from my JK.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just because I found it confusing as hell, the last post with the wheelbase was from an "LJ" as in, an unlimited. A "TJ" Wrangler has a 93.4" wheelbase and a JK Wrangler 2-door has a 95.4" wheelbase. In other words, a 2-door JK is LONGER than a TJ but shorter than an LJ.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
TJ’s can be a little scary on steep hill climbs compared to a JK, my brothers and I all crapped our pants at least once. The 4 cylinders are gutless and and the straight 6 is a big improvement but still doesn’t compare to the JK motors. Once you install a winch, larger tires, or armor you’ll think you have at least two extra large passengers with you. The TJ/LJ can fit into some really tight spots and maneuver very easily. If lifted above 4 inches you need a slip yoke eliminator kit or you will get some funky vibrations, especially at highway speeds. I enjoyed the hell out of my TJ’s and LJ’s and learned a lot about wrenching and driving but I don’t think I’d ever want to go backward from my JK.

This ^^^^^

While I loved my TJ, there's no way I'd go back to one over a JK. Without question, I have found that a stock JK can easily outwheel a modified TJ any day of the week. It's why I ultimately got rid of mine and bought a second JK.

Bear_JT

Hooked
This ^^^^^

While I loved my TJ, there's no way I'd go back to one over a JK. Without question, I have found that a stock JK can easily outwheel a modified TJ any day of the week. It's why I ultimately got rid of mine and bought a second JK.

This is absolutely true. The JK is way better than the TJ. I honestly think you might regret getting out of the JK.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Just because I found it confusing as hell, the last post with the wheelbase was from an "LJ" as in, an unlimited. A "TJ" Wrangler has a 93.4" wheelbase and a JK Wrangler 2-door has a 95.4" wheelbase. In other words, a 2-door JK is LONGER than a TJ but shorter than an LJ.

Overall length the jk is still longer than the LJ though right?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Overall length the jk is still longer than the LJ though right?

I just double checked my notes and it depends. Not sure why there is a range but on the low end, a 2-door JK would be longer but on the high end, an LJ would be longer by a bit.

LJ total length = 155.4 to 167 inches
2-Door JK length = 164.3 inches

fiend

Caught the Bug
This ^^^^^

Is the difference between the JL and JK comparable to the difference between the JK and the TJ?

Top Bottom