PR 80 E Brake Question...

SDG

Caught the Bug
Quick question... and it's NYE, so you better not respond for at least a couple days!

I was doing some work and removed the center console... noticed this...
20181231_174111.jpg

Didnt look right so I got under and was looking at where the cable connects to the axle.

Driver side looked normal
20181231_173925.jpg

But passenger looks odd. Looks like there is supposed to be a little split ring welded on, and maybe there was at some point?

20181231_173819.jpg
20181231_173747.jpg

Thoughts on how to fix this?

Attachments

• 20181231_173700.jpg
    20181231_173700.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 131

WJCO

Meme King
Regardless of the axle, that cable sheathing should be tight and secure. I would start by watching it while someone else pulls the ebrake just to make sure it's working. If it's not, you can probably fab something up to make it work or even add a brake hose clip. You might even be able to fan out part of it with pliers to keep it from sinking in like it did.

Here's a pic of an OEM JK and WJ.

IMG_20181231_191311_944.jpg

IMG_20181231_191325_409.jpg

SDG

Caught the Bug
You need to go deeper (consult your local doctor).

View attachment 318123

Haha! Yes deeper!

I messed around with it, I think the problem is when I push it all the way in, then the hook that grabs on the actual brake arm of the axle goes slack (or limp), so the spring cant maintain and tension.

WJCO

Meme King
Haha! Yes deeper!

I messed around with it, I think the problem is when I push it all the way in, then the hook that grabs on the actual brake arm of the axle goes slack (or limp), so the spring cant maintain and tension.

Pry them out first. That spring steel clip should be bell shaped. When it goes deep enough (after the Bob dole pill) they should just pop into place.

Benito

Caught the Bug
Quick question... and it's NYE, so you better not respond for at least a couple days!

I was doing some work and removed the center console... noticed this...
View attachment 318113

Didnt look right so I got under and was looking at where the cable connects to the axle.

Driver side looked normal
View attachment 318117

But passenger looks odd. Looks like there is supposed to be a little split ring welded on, and maybe there was at some point?

View attachment 318115
View attachment 318116

Thoughts on how to fix this?

The passenger side needs to be the same as the drivers side, ask dynatrac for another sleeve/extension/coupler and weld it on

Exodus 4x4

The passenger side needs to be the same as the drivers side, ask dynatrac for another sleeve/extension/coupler and weld it on

^^^This. You’re supposed to have a spacer both of them. I’ve tried welding them and haven’t had great luck. When you get a replacement, try putting a hose clamp around the split ring to prevent it from falling off. A zip tie might work but I’d trust a hose clamp more.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Haha! Yes deeper!

I apologize. I totally didn't see what you were talking about last night. Now that these other guys posted, I see that spacer welded on the one side.

Missing Spacer on E-Brake Cable Mount

I talked to our engineering department to see what is supposed to be there...on the ProRock 80, there should be a spacer on each side. We don't normally weld them in place: the tension of the cable should hold them in place. Although it looks like someone welded the one in place that you show in your photo.

In any event, we have these spacers sitting on the shelf. PM your info to us and we'll mail one to you.

Thanks!

bhaner

Mine doesn't have the spacer or the spring setup on the cable.

I had to route them down the control arms... But they plug in to that socket straight and once you hit the pocket they "click" and lock in.

d80ebrake.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom