14 bolt Grizzly locker

trplxj

I made a bonehead move when installed the grizzly in my 14 bolt. I didn't take the thrust washers out. I didn't know that I needed to, and there were no installation instructions with my locker. :naw: I didn't realize that they were thrust washers, I just assumed that they were shims for the side gears. Yesterday I was pulling into a parking space at the store and it started making some really bad noises. I nursed it home and parked it in the shop for the night. I did some googling and found out that I was not supposed to use the thrust washers with the locker. I took it apart this morning expecting to see pieces of the locker inside the carrier. But there aren't any pieces. The locker "looks" fine from what I can tell. I took it apart and I don't see any chipped teeth, or broken parts. You think I dodged a bullet here and it's okay? I put maybe 150 miles on it is all. All highway miles. Or should I contact Yukon and see about sending it to them for them to look at? It's going to be a while before I put it back together, I had to order some more gear marking compound so I can check the pattern again after I set the backlash. I'm on the fence as to whether I should put it back together, or see about sending the locker back to Yukon. What do you guys think?

This is the kind of stuff that happens when you assume. I should have taken the time to Google it when I first installed it. Live and learn I guess.

trplxj

If it were me and I saw no obvious problems, I’d just put it back together correctly and see if it’s all good.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

That's kinda what I'm thinking. It's not hard to pull it back out if it's not right. It's just a little time and bucket full of gear oil.

Top Bottom