Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crash repairs-OEM vs Aftermarket Parts

Crash repairs-OEM vs Aftermarket Parts

48427514_2239395999417294_6208155775014010880_n.jpg 48395591_2239395329417361_5399217612733284352_n.jpg

Some of you know that a few days before Christmas my Jeep that was parked in front of my house at 2am was plowed into by an intoxicated asshat. I received the estimate yesterday and have a few questions for you all. Plus, if you are a Reno local, what's your opinion of Steve's Collision Center? I tried to get it into Coachcraft, but they are booked weeks out. I haven't yet committed to any certain repair shop. There is some visible damage to the frame, but the Jeep still needs to be put up on a rack to check the frame, that should happen tomorrow. The estimate is currently at about $5400.00

One question I have is about the axle ratio. I believe my Jeep had the 3.73 axle that came with the Max tow package, but I'm not sure how to prove that, should I need to. I mentioned it to the adjuster over the phone when he called me with the verbal estimate and I can see that he a already had 3.21 on the digital copy. I'll see if I have to push more for this or not. And, if I succeed, how can I tell what has actually been installed when the work is completed?

Second question is about new aftermarket parts. They've quoted O'Reilly upper and lower control arms...is there a difference in quality vs OEM?
    Same question about Flares from Autonation, will they match and wear the same as the rest of my Jeep?

The third question is about the tire. They've quoted a used replacement wheel and intend to use the old tire and see if it holds air. Do you think the integrity of this tire would be compromised? If it does indeed get replaced, is the few thousand miles of wear differential of the remaining tires an issue?

Thank you so much for your help, I really don't have knowledgeable people in real life that I can go to with these questions.

Your serial number should tell them everything about your Jeep, including the gear ratio. A dealer can print you a build sheet so you can also know everything about your Jeep. I think you can online too but I don’t know how, sorry

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JKbrick View Post
    Your serial number should tell them everything about your Jeep, including the gear ratio. A dealer can print you a build sheet so you can also know everything about your Jeep. I think you can online too but I don’t know how, sorry

Thank You, I'd forgotten about that, I'll do that tomorrow. Or today, I know there's a online site that can do that costs a few $.

Quote Originally Posted by Nataqua View Post
    48427514_2239395999417294_6208155775014010880_n.jpg 48395591_2239395329417361_5399217612733284352_n.jpg

Some of you know that a few days before Christmas my Jeep that was parked in front of my house at 2am was plowed into by an intoxicated asshat. I received the estimate yesterday and have a few questions for you all. Plus, if you are a Reno local, what's your opinion of Steve's Collision Center? I tried to get it into Coachcraft, but they are booked weeks out. I haven't yet committed to any certain repair shop. There is some visible damage to the frame, but the Jeep still needs to be put up on a rack to check the frame, that should happen tomorrow. The estimate is currently at about $5400.00

One question I have is about the axle ratio. I believe my Jeep had the 3.73 axle that came with the Max tow package, but I'm not sure how to prove that, should I need to. I mentioned it to the adjuster over the phone when he called me with the verbal estimate and I can see that he a already had 3.21 on the digital copy. I'll see if I have to push more for this or not. And, if I succeed, how can I tell what has actually been installed when the work is completed?

Second question is about new aftermarket parts. They've quoted O'Reilly upper and lower control arms...is there a difference in quality vs OEM?
    Same question about Flares from Autonation, will they match and wear the same as the rest of my Jeep?

The third question is about the tire. They've quoted a used replacement wheel and intend to use the old tire and see if it holds air. Do you think the integrity of this tire would be compromised? If it does indeed get replaced, is the few thousand miles of wear differential of the remaining tires an issue?

Thank you so much for your help, I really don't have knowledgeable people in real life that I can go to with these questions.

They quoted O'Reilly? In the accidents/quotes I've received for my 2010 I've never had them quote non-factory parts unless it was to replace an aftermarket part I had installed.

IMO Crown makes ok replacement parts if you're paying out of pocket but if it's insurance covered I'd demand they use only Mopar factory replacement parts.

Are you dealing direct with the person's insurance company that hit you?

Why would you not go to the dealer and get factory parts. This is gonna end bad for you I can see it already.

Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 JK
    1975 DJ5

Quote Originally Posted by jeeeep View Post
    They quoted O'Reilly? In the accidents/quotes I've received for my 2010 I've never had them quote non-factory parts unless it was to replace an aftermarket part I had installed.

IMO Crown makes ok replacement parts if you're paying out of pocket but if it's insurance covered I'd demand they use only Mopar factory replacement parts.

Are you dealing direct with the person's insurance company that hit you?
    Yeah, I thought O'Reilly was odd too. they provide a web link to the parts and it goes to O'Reilly. Yes, I'm dealing with the guy's insurance, Geico. I will insist on Mopar parts...I'm considering calling in my insurance, I think I'd like their adjuster to look at it.

Go OEM.

Dealer can tell you your factory axle ratio with your VIN (VIN number for Overlander).

After installation, you can jack up a tire and spin it and count the driveline rotations to determine the gear ratio.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    Why would you not go to the dealer and get factory parts. This is gonna end bad for you I can see it already.

I know right? I don't like it either, as I stated above, I think I'll get my insurance adjuster to look at it. If I cough up my $1000 deductible, they go to bat for me and eventually get my $1000 back. The whole thing sucks. It doesn't help that I'm also dealing with health issues, related to stress.

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Go OEM.

Dealer can tell you your factory axle ratio with your VIN (VIN number for Overlander).

After installation, you can jack up a tire and spin it and count the driveline rotations to determine the gear ratio.
    Okay, thank you...I've heard of that method, but haven't given it a spin. Eddie and I were discussing that when I bought these wheels from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nataqua View Post
    I know right? I don't like it either, as I stated above, I think I'll get my insurance adjuster to look at it. If I cough up my $1000 deductible, they go to bat for me and eventually get my $1000 back. The whole thing sucks. It doesn't help that I'm also dealing with health issues, related to stress.
    Why would you pay your deductible? You weren’t at fault. Why even go to their recommended shop. Go where you want to go. You are not at fault.

2012 JK
    1975 DJ5

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast