Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New head lights

Knows a Thing or Two trailraider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bingobelle View Post
    so they do not freze up if you drive in heavy snow or like rain that is more or less like frozen water?

it is a little bit confussing because so many different opinions. some say they clog up just after like 15 minutes and some say there is not a problem at all.

with frezing I do not mean shutting down but more like the snow and ice will prevent the light from lighting up the road.

I live in the mountains and we get to -30 deg c . There may be some instances where it could happen. but I have put my Jeep through the winter paces with no problems.
    Jeep- Adult version of lego

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    so they do not freze up if you drive in heavy snow or like rain that is more or less like frozen water?

it is a little bit confussing because so many different opinions. some say they clog up just after like 15 minutes and some say there is not a problem at all.

with frezing I do not mean shutting down but more like the snow and ice will prevent the light from lighting up the road.
    Depending on the type of snow and the light. Led lights still put out some heat just not nearly the same as a 80 watt halogen bulb. In wet snow mine cover over with about 1/4” pretty quick, but still has light output through it. Just not what it should be. If you’re like me and enjoy driving when the news channel tells you to stay home, go for the heated option.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Did euro spec late model JKs have the LED light group option?? If so your best bet might be to go to a Jeep dealership and buy the OEM LEDs. They aren’t heated (at least to my knowledge) but I’ve never seen any OEM LED light freeze over in snow. Only aftermarket

Captain Imachurity
    2003 WJ Build Thread
    2017 Gobi JKU Build Thread
    2016 Renegade Sport Build Thread

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    thanks

will take a closer look at this to. changing a bulb once a year i do not mind. and the prise is like 1/20 f a pair of jw speaker.

I took a closer look to my lamps and besides the h4 contact there is also some more contact on the housing. There is a small bulb and I think they are called parking lamps or some shit like that. And with out that I guess the police and the anualy car testing place will all get excited.

Sweden is a asshole country just for your info.

Seems those Hella is like a stock lamp but have a refined and better reflector?
    The light output is much better. The housing that comes with the JK is terrible. What you get from the Hella, is a much better reflector.

Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Build Thread-- http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3...l-II-The-Deuce

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar

New head lights

My JW Speaker iced over in wet Mississippi snow. Not bad enough to make visibility a problem, though.

Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Build Thread-- http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3...l-II-The-Deuce

Hooked
    Quote Originally Posted by longarmwj View Post
    Did euro spec late model JKs have the LED light group option?? If so your best bet might be to go to a Jeep dealership and buy the OEM LEDs. They aren’t heated (at least to my knowledge) but I’ve never seen any OEM LED light freeze over in snow. Only aftermarket

I think the late jk could be bought with led in Sweden but not sure. Will check that.

But why not a problem with oem led? Do they run at higher temperatures than the other brands?

I live in the mountains where we have light fluffy snow and my KC gravity headlights (non-heated) do perfectly fine. There were a few snowfalls where it was a little wet that they did clog up, but for the most part they have been great and didn’t cost as much as JW Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by longarmwj View Post

I've driven through several wet snowfalls with my oem led headlights and have yet to see them freeze over.

I was also worried about non-heated LED lights in my area (Anchorage, AK), and I am just not in a place to be able to invest $500+ in headlights. But so far there have been no issues.

I've driven through hours of 10 degree freezing fog, and wet snow with temps hovering right around the freezing mark. The lights will sometimes get a thin sheen of ice but they are still fairly effective... which is to say they are still 3x better than the stock headlights on a clear night. Worst case... I'll pull over someday and wipe them off but I haven't felt the need to yet.

I'm cheap and can't see spending a ton of money on those. I am running high intensity ones. Inexpensive and a big difference from the stock ones.
    DID I MENTION MY RIG IS FOR SALE?

“Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace.”

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do...
    Explore. Dream. Discover."

"Take a compass, because it's always awkward when you have to eat a friend."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast