Thread: Another Steering Gearbox Question

Fresh Catch

Another Steering Gearbox Question

My 05' TJ started doing the 45 mph death wobble. Spin balancing the tires didn't stop the wobble like it has before.
    I rebuilt the front end a couple years ago and replaced all the rod ends and ball joints in the C's. Replaced the unit bearings and such and such.
    All new except for the drag link rod end at the pitman. I had zero wobble until last week.
    So the other day I replace the drag link rod end at the pitman, and noticed about 1 inch of play in the pitman arm while doing so. It was an Ah! HA!! moment.
    So, I searched the forums and service manual and adjusted the play on the top if the steering gearbox. There is no binding and no play in the pitman now.
    So, now the pitman play is reduced, or zero. The death wobble isn't happening now but I can tell that it sure wants to wobble away at about 45 mph.
    And now this problem... There is nearly 1/4 turn of play in the steering wheel. Whereas before there was zero or negligible play in the steering wheel.
    So, my question is;
    At what time do you know that the steering box is toast?
    I've followed the steering wheel play down the column and the play is in the steering box, not the column.
    My Jeep specs are 2005 TJ, 4.0, 4" lift, Currie and Rokmen adj arms, RCV axle shafts, factory unit bearing hubs, 33" BFG KM2's on steel 8" wide x 15" HTC wheels.
    Thanks for your time.

Knows a Thing or Two Snboarder113's Avatar
    Sounds like it’s roasted. Not sure if it’s your death wobble problem though. You can swap other (better) boxes in its place.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

If your going to swap out your steering box go to the earlier Saginaw box pre 2003....98-02 box get one from PSC....a big bore set up for Hyd assist so you can swap over in the future when you want.... swap is not much trouble at all.

Sit in front of your jeep and have some one turn the wheel back and forth and you will see where the play is....swap rear tires to front and see if that helps .

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by deantac View Post
    If your going to swap out your steering box go to the earlier Saginaw box pre 2003....98-02 box get one from PSC....a big bore set up for Hyd assist so you can swap over in the future when you want.... swap is not much trouble at all.

Sit in front of your jeep and have some one turn the wheel back and forth and you will see where the play is....swap rear tires to front and see if that helps .
    Good info, thank you.
    It's possible my recently balanced tires weren't balanced well at all. I'll rotate them myself and see what's up.
    I'm probably going to go with a PSC steering box, but spending $900 is doable but hard to swallow on a 14 year old Jeep. I'll never get that money back when I sell my TJ. But it is all lost money anyway... it's the price of this hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by OldButStillJeeping View Post
    Good info, thank you.
    It's possible my recently balanced tires weren't balanced well at all. I'll rotate them myself and see what's up.
    I'm probably going to go with a PSC steering box, but spending $900 is doable but hard to swallow on a 14 year old Jeep. I'll never get that money back when I sell my TJ. But it is all lost money anyway... it's the price of this hobby.
    Depending on your tires and the shop that did them, you might need to balance them a couple of times to get right. I’ve had to back three times to get it right before I had DT do mine. DT can usually get it right the first time or at most the second.

2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Fresh Catch
    Yep. Been buying from Discount (AKA Americas) Tire for awhile. I get the spin balance / tire replacement warranty everytime I get tires. So this latest spin bal was free to me. That's why I think they may have botched it or not been too accurate. Although I've never had an issue with them.

Quote Originally Posted by OldButStillJeeping View Post
    Yep. Been buying from Discount (AKA Americas) Tire for awhile. I get the spin balance / tire replacement warranty everytime I get tires. So this latest spin bal was free to me. That's why I think they may have botched it or not been too accurate. Although I've never had an issue with them.
    The bigger the tire, the harder it is. Just keep taking it back until it’s right

2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler