Thread: Floaty Steering!!

Floaty Steering!!

Havenít posted in a while but I am in need of some help/advice. My 2 door jk has pretty loose steering that needs badly addressed. I have replaced the track bar, drag link, tie rod, and ball joints with all new aftermarket parts. Iíve also tightened the hex head nut on top of the steering box a bit, but not too much. I donít want to over tighten. Not sure where else to look. Maybe in the column itself? Any help appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by SkylerMitchell View Post
    Havenít posted in a while but I am in need of some help/advice. My 2 door jk has pretty loose steering that needs badly addressed. I have replaced the track bar, drag link, tie rod, and ball joints with all new aftermarket parts. Iíve also tightened the hex head nut on top of the steering box a bit, but not too much. I donít want to over tighten. Not sure where else to look. Maybe in the column itself? Any help appreciated.

Have you lifted it? If so, how much and did you fix the caster? Are your track bar and drag link parallel? What type and size tires and what pressure are you running?

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

I had to get adjustable front control arms to fix mine

Caught the Bug
    It sounds like you need to check your alignment to start. Mine was a little floaty, even with lower adjustable control arms in the front, I literally just put upper adjustable control arms on and it is all but gone now. Check the basic do it at home alignment thread for how to get started. Click HERE:
    Last edited by Torrin; 01-07-2019 at 09:28 PM.
    2017 White JK : (build thread)
    Synergy 3"/2", Dynatrack Trail Leader Package
    MCE Fenders, 10th Anniversary Hood
    ATX Slabs, Nitto Trail Grappler 37's
    Shrock Works Front Middy, LoD Destroyer Rear
    Genright Sliders, Warn VR12-S ,

Oh yeah, and VENGEANCE.

Another point to check will be the input shaft on the steering gear to see if the main steering gear is shot. Reach up and grab hold of the input shaft going into the gear and see if you can turn it. A little play is normal, if you can get a quarter turn or more out of it and youíve already tightened the hex nut, the steering gear is probably shot. If thatís still tight, then itís further down the line.

2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Other members have addressed the best places to start. Also if for some reason you have an aftermarket pitman arm, make sure it's fastened properly and there is no play in the splines where it meets the gear box.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

ask here 1st before replacing parts...save you some money

all good troubleshooting starting points.. IMO begin with caster, doesn't take much to makes a difference