VIDEO : JL JOURNAL - Axle Differential Fluid Change - How to do it Yourself

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In spite of the fact that Cindy and I work from home and have half a dozen Jeeps that we can and do use as a daily driver, we’ve still managed to rack up 15,000 miles on our brand new Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. And for us, that means it’s time to do some maintenance. Among other things, the differentials are something I typically service at this time but it’s also a good idea to do if you’ve been spending any time in some deep water. Fortunately, changing out the fluid is super easy to do on a JL Wrangler and it can be done in minutes using a 3/8” drive ratchet.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED
• 3/8" Drive Ratchet
• Oil Catch Pan
• Chemical Resistant Yellow Teflon Tape or Paste

FLUIDS YOU WILL NEED
186 FBI (Model 30) - Front Axle
MOPAR Gear & Axle Lubricant (SAE 80W-90) (API GL-5)
1.82 Pints/0.86 Liters

210 FBI (Model 44) - Front Axle
MOPAR Gear & Axle Lubricant (SAE 80W-90) (API GL-5)
2.18 Pints/1.03 Liters

200 RBI (Model 44) - Rear Axle
MOPAR Gear & Axle Lubricant (SAE 80W-90) (API GL-5) or equivalent.
For trailer towing, use MOPAR Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant (SAE 75W-140).
Models equipped with Trac-Lok require an additive.
2.43 Pints/1.15 Liters

220 RBI (Model 44) Rear Axle – EDL
3.06 Pints/1.45 Liters

220 RBI (Model 44) Rear Axle – T/L
3.02 Pints/1.43 Liters

I know I’ve said it before. I love these maintenance videos and this was another great one. Brings back good memories of early Saturday mornings watching Trucks with Stacey David and Shadetree Mechanic with Dave and Sam.

jeeeep

Hooked
so much easier :thumb:

I don't care how old you get, bottle farts are funny :cheesy:

What are the differences in the 44? I didn't realize there were 2 different models of the 220

TrailHunter

Hooked
I still don’t get why the front drain plug is on the bottom... Are the covers on the JL thin and susceptible to catching a rock like the JK?

naysjp

I appreciate you showing the part numbers on the bolts that you get. You had a video where you replaced grease nipples on the johnny joint of the control arms and I was able to jot that down.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know I’ve said it before. I love these maintenance videos and this was another great one. Brings back good memories of early Saturday mornings watching Trucks with Stacey David and Shadetree Mechanic with Dave and Sam.

LOL!! Do they really not have shows like that on anymore? It's been a while since I've been able to sit down and watch TV on a Saturday morning but I did enjoy them as well.

so much easier :thumb:

I don't care how old you get, bottle farts are funny :cheesy:

What are the differences in the 44? I didn't realize there were 2 different models of the 220

Honestly, I really don't know what the difference is between them. This is what is stated from the factory so I made sure to list them.

I still don’t get why the front drain plug is on the bottom... Are the covers on the JL thin and susceptible to catching a rock like the JK?

The front drain plug is just retarded but I blame Dana for even coming up with that as an idea. The covers are thin just like the JK but I've not had them be an issue for me in the same way. Not sure why that is... could be they sit a bit higher up than the housing but either way, so far so good.

I appreciate you showing the part numbers on the bolts that you get. You had a video where you replaced grease nipples on the johnny joint of the control arms and I was able to jot that down.

Always try to be thorough :)

pop2tu

Great video. I had the dealership try and change my diff fluid while I was getting some work done, they wanted to also charge me $160 for it. I said no I’ll do it myself

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video. I had the dealership try and change my diff fluid while I was getting some work done, they wanted to also charge me $160 for it. I said no I’ll do it myself

Holy hell!! I sure hope they give their customers some lube for their ass before they rape them. :shock:

VitaMeVas

Thank you for the front diff drain plug number. I’ll be picking up an extra one to keep in my tool box based on your experience. Another helpful write up.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great diy video. Very informative thanks Eddie. I will be doing this very soon along with an oil change.

Thanks! Super easy to do as you can see. :)

Thank you for the front diff drain plug number. I’ll be picking up an extra one to keep in my tool box based on your experience. Another helpful write up.

Honestly, rather than buy a new plug to carry around with you, I would just get one of these:
https://amzn.to/2RucXou

Bottle farts rule...

:cheesy: Yes they do :D

You had me laughing so hard when you were putting the gear oil into the diff. Haha good stuff.

:cheesy: How can you not laugh :crazyeyes:

Ah nothing quite like 80W-90 bottle farts. Good video Cindy and Eddie. Reminds me I need to do mine soon.

Gets me laughing every time :D

Good video!! I bet the fart noises were nicely accented by the glorious smell of diff fluid.

LOL - what sucks about gear oil is that the smell lingers around a lot longer. :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom