Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Crush sleeve eliminator vs crush sleeve?

  1. #1
    Old Timer USMC Wrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Cochise County, AZ
    Posts
    3,124

    Crush sleeve eliminator vs crush sleeve?

    Iím finally getting around to my gear swap. The rear is getting a master rebuild kit and new R&P but my front is the D30 from MybadJK with fairly new 4.56 gears. Because my housing is in better shape, with c-gussets, LCA skids and everything else complete, the gears from the donor axle will go in my OE axle.

    My buddy doing the swap for me will setup the front gears just to be sure. He told me to get a pinion seal, crush sleeve and pinion shims. The first thing that popped up in my internet search is a crush sleeve eliminator by Yukon.

    IMG_6872.jpg

    He says heís never used them but also never heard anything good or bad about them. I already have a pinion seal on hand, so it kinda looks like this kit would do the trick. But! If thereís some reason to not run this on a DD Jeep and you guys know, Iíd appreciate hearing about it.
    2013 JKU Sport "Spider" with some EVO goodies and a chop here and there

    DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

    Overall "build thread" http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2...ker-quot-build

  2. #2
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    25,431
    It's just a different way to set the preload. If your guy is used to crush sleeves, might as well just stick to that. One benefit to the eliminator is if you ever have to remove the pinion nut, you can just tighten it down without worrying about over-tightening the bearings.

    And the pinion shims he asked you to get are not the ones that come with the eliminator. The ones you want to down near the gear head. You want pinion depth shims.
    Last edited by WJCO; 01-09-2019 at 04:09 AM.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES



    Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

  3. #3
    Nothing but a Thing QuicksilverJK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Reno NV
    Posts
    1,327
    The eliminator is good for future repairs such as replacing the pinion seal. Also if there is a mistake made on initial setup then you just adjust shims as apposed to having to buy another crush sleeve.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  4. #4
    Old Timer USMC Wrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Cochise County, AZ
    Posts
    3,124
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    It's just a different way to set the preload. If your guy is used to crush sleeves, might as well just stick to that. One benefit to the eliminator is if you ever have to remove the pinion nut, you can just tighten it down without worrying about over-tightening the bearings.

    And the pinion shims he asked you to get are not the ones that come with the eliminator. The ones you want to down near the gear head.
    Ahh, ok. So something like this is probably my best bet?

    https://www.revolutiongear.com/produ...evolution_gear
    2013 JKU Sport "Spider" with some EVO goodies and a chop here and there

    DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

    Overall "build thread" http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2...ker-quot-build

  5. #5
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    25,431
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC Wrangler View Post
    Ahh, ok. So something like this is probably my best bet?

    https://www.revolutiongear.com/produ...evolution_gear
    That's what I would do. As a matter of fact, I think that's the exact same kit I got from Exodus when I did ours.

    Hopefully Exodus or Dynatrac comments on this in regards to whether there is a major benefit to the eliminator. I'm pretty sure Dynatrac uses them on their ProRock 44.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES



    Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

  6. #6
    Advertiser Exodus Jeeps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,364
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    That's what I would do. As a matter of fact, I think that's the exact same kit I got from Exodus when I did ours.

    Hopefully Exodus or Dynatrac comments on this in regards to whether there is a major benefit to the eliminator. I'm pretty sure Dynatrac uses them on their ProRock 44.
    Itís whatever people are comfortable with. Personally I like the eliminator kit but the crush sleeve is faster.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  7. #7
    Addict JKbrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Leo, Indiana
    Posts
    6,140
    I donít know how to do gearing YET but my plan would be to use the eliminator in case I would have to change my yoke that it would make it easier to put back together


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  8. #8
    Old Timer USMC Wrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Cochise County, AZ
    Posts
    3,124
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    That's what I would do. As a matter of fact, I think that's the exact same kit I got from Exodus when I did ours.

    Hopefully Exodus or Dynatrac comments on this in regards to whether there is a major benefit to the eliminator. I'm pretty sure Dynatrac uses them on their ProRock 44.
    Thanks Doug!

    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus Jeeps View Post
    Itís whatever people are comfortable with. Personally I like the eliminator kit but the crush sleeve is faster.
    Gotcha. Makes sense, thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by JKbrick View Post
    I donít know how to do gearing YET but my plan would be to use the eliminator in case I would have to change my yoke that it would make it easier to put back together
    This makes sense too. Iíll check with my buddy and see if he wants to give it a try on the front internals swap or not. This is a complete learning process for me too.

    Thanks fellas!
    2013 JKU Sport "Spider" with some EVO goodies and a chop here and there

    DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

    Overall "build thread" http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2...ker-quot-build

Similar Threads

  1. Tie rod adjustment sleeve seized
    By 10abadilla/jk in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-04-2017, 09:22 PM
  2. EVO Magnum Sleeve Seals
    By hhunter050 in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-30-2017, 12:50 AM
  3. New crush sleeve and reshiming for rear driveshaft swap?
    By jorgelrod in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-27-2016, 10:56 PM
  4. Sleeve or Chromoly shafts?
    By aaronstephen in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-20-2013, 07:26 PM
  5. To sleeve... Or not to sleeve...
    By RockIt Man in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-07-2012, 01:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
ďwayoflifeĒ is a moniker that Iíve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS