Drain Holes on KMC XD Wheels

SLO

I couldn't find a thread that was already started titled "Who Wasted the Most Amount of Time on Their Jeep Doing a Pointless Mod" so I figured I'd weigh in.

Since I am going to Dana 60's, I needed new wheels. I want beadlocks and first priority was backspacing being between 4.75" and 5.5". Axles are full width (72") so I wanted to keep scrub radius as low as possible. I initially wanted Trail Ready's and I was first on the list for when they get the new production facility running but I got tired of waiting. Second choice was the KMC Machetes. However, the XD229's are 3.5" backspacing. The XD228 are close enough but they don't have the drain holes which I am super stubborn about wanting. After going back and forth, I decided to buy the XD228's figuring I would see what I could do once I get them. They arrived yesterday and I started drilling.

I drilled and tapped a hole for the Monster Valves opposite the standard valve. Screwed up the first one and it ended up being too close to the lip and rock ring so that you cant get the chuck all the way seated. Not a big deal...I was able to Dremel out some material and made it work but it still annoys me. It will be my spare.

I also started drilling out my own drain holes. What a pain in the ass. Actually, its just monotonous. I had to drill 4 holes per slot and there are 24 slots so I spent 2 hours drilling 96 holes in just the first wheel. Once I drill them all out, I am going to use as 1/4" carbide cutting bit in my router to clean them out and make them look better. Even though you won't ever see the slots behind the rock ring, I am anal and that's what I'm stuck with.

Obviously, I will need new rock rings with drain holes. I am either going to buy the XD229 rock rings with the drain holes or have OMF Performance make me some custom ones. I am leaning toward the latter. For anyone that cares, the rings on KMC XD wheels are 24x16-3/8". I believe they are the same as Methods.
IMG_0302.jpg IMG_0304.jpg IMG_0305.jpg

TrailHunter

Hooked
Damn... are drain holes really That important? Don't think I could risk the integrity of the wheel over a little water.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
No way you can take the exact same amount of material out of each slot. I wonder if it will do anything to the ability to balance the wheels.

SLO

Damn... are drain holes really That important? Don't think I could risk the integrity of the wheel over a little water.

I wouldn’t risk weakening anything for a little water drain.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

No way you can take the exact same amount of material out of each slot. I wonder if it will do anything to the ability to balance the wheels.

I was going to say no, not that important but I guess the truth is, yes. When I get my mind set on something, I pursue relentlessly.

The amount of material in those slots is less than 1/4” thick. The backside of that lip is beveled and is very substantial. Also, the XD229 has no material where those slots are (see below). So, the integrity of the wheel is no less than the XD229 and I’d argue there is still more matierial. As far as balancing, we are talking about differences in 1/10’s of a gram per hole over 24 holes. Not going to effect balancing. The valve stems and Monster Valve will have more of an impact than a few shavings of 1/4” thick aluminum.

Understood it doesn’t seem worth it but I’ll be happy to have the drain holes and wheels with custom rings. 2E7F4DD1-CCC5-4A70-9527-F92A796C2588.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
Holy Fuck man! :eek: I get what you are saying but just because it sounds like a good idea doesn't mean it actually is! I'd highly recommend stopping at one wheel and using it for a spare. There's no way you can consistently remove the same amount of material evenly around the entire circumference of the wheel. If you want the drain holes buy the Machetes & be done with it. The wheels Eddie is running on Jet Li have drains holes too I believe. Think they may be KMC Robbie Gordon editions or some such....

Top Bottom