Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilt LS or Crate?

Caught the Bug

Rebuilt LS or Crate?

For those who have done an LS swap have you used the high dollar crate motors of found a used engine and rebuilt it?

I like the idea of new crate with the GM warranty but seems I could get a motor for half the cost or even less and us it and come out cheaper. I'd still have a local shop (DFW TX Area) do the work to make sure its done and work is under warranty

What are y'all's thoughts

Just call Bubba at Exodus Jeeps and he will hook ya up with a 500hp LS. And he stands by what he puts in. And he is just down in New Braunfels so not to far from ya.
    Bubba did mine and it was a used L96 6.0 but he goes through it to make sure it's all good first.
    '08 JKUR 6.0LS, 6L80
    EVO DTD, Evolever w/ Hi Clearance long arms
    40x13.50R17 Nitto TGs w/ KMC Machettes
    Dana 60, Sterling 10.5
    EVO stuff
    Evo Pro & Warn Zeon
    Evo Tire Carrier

Have you already talked to a shop about doing the swap for you? They should be able to provide you with enough information on the pros and cons of each. We only do turnkey swaps and when we do a salvage motor we only buy from LKQ. If itís a crate motor it comes direct from GM. The upside to salvage is you can get a Denali 6.2 engine and trans for far less than a crate LS3 and still have nearly the same power.

If you look at our website we have an estimator to give you a general idea of what a swap runs using a salvage motor. There are a lot of performance options available as well but require a phone call.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Caught the Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus Jeeps View Post
    Have you already talked to a shop about doing the swap for you? They should be able to provide you with enough information on the pros and cons of each. We only do turnkey swaps and when we do a salvage motor we only buy from LKQ. If itís a crate motor it comes direct from GM. The upside to salvage is you can get a Denali 6.2 engine and trans for far less than a crate LS3 and still have nearly the same power.

If you look at our website we have an estimator to give you a general idea of what a swap runs using a salvage motor. There are a lot of performance options available as well but require a phone call.

Thanks, I'll give it a look.

Quote Originally Posted by dillard09 View Post
    Just call Bubba at Exodus Jeeps and he will hook ya up with a 500hp LS.
    Is that all?

Fresh Catch
    You can get a purpose built engine that will way out perform a crate motor built local to you. So many choices around DFW. That said...its a rabbit hole of "while this is being done, might as well X." Of course you didn't specify which LS. If I'm picking from the GMPP site LS9 would be pretty sweet. ...or a LSX376-B8 with an F1 on it.

Caught the Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by DaCooyon View Post
    You can get a purpose built engine that will way out perform a crate motor built local to you. So many choices around DFW. That said...its a rabbit hole of "while this is being done, might as well X." Of course you didn't specify which LS. If I'm picking from the GMPP site LS9 would be pretty sweet. ...or a LSX376-B8 with an F1 on it.

I did not specify but I'll put it this way....Since I was a kid I always liked corvettes. My love for Jeeps far outweighs the Vette but why not mesh the vette with my Jeep. 2 for 1

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by TxCrushinJKUR View Post
    I did not specify but I'll put it this way....Since I was a kid I always liked corvettes. My love for Jeeps far outweighs the Vette but why not mesh the vette with my Jeep. 2 for 1
    Perfect!! The LS9 was the OE motor for the Corvette ZR1!

Caught the Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by DaCooyon View Post
    Perfect!! The LS9 was the OE motor for the Corvette ZR1!
    Sounds like a great starting point to me

Quote Originally Posted by TxCrushinJKUR View Post
    Sounds like a great starting point to me
    Funny, I just built a 6.2 with an LS9 cam. Itís pretty amazing even with the SC. 501/477 on the dyno. This is pretty much why I tell most people to save their money on a crate LS3. The truck engines with the larger intakes produce better low end torque which is what youíll need in the Jeep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast