Rebuilt LS or Crate?

For those who have done an LS swap have you used the high dollar crate motors of found a used engine and rebuilt it?

I like the idea of new crate with the GM warranty but seems I could get a motor for half the cost or even less and us it and come out cheaper. I'd still have a local shop (DFW TX Area) do the work to make sure its done and work is under warranty

What are y'all's thoughts

dillard09

Just call Bubba at Exodus Jeeps and he will hook ya up with a 500hp LS. And he stands by what he puts in. And he is just down in New Braunfels so not to far from ya.
Bubba did mine and it was a used L96 6.0 but he goes through it to make sure it's all good first.

Exodus 4x4

Have you already talked to a shop about doing the swap for you? They should be able to provide you with enough information on the pros and cons of each. We only do turnkey swaps and when we do a salvage motor we only buy from LKQ. If it’s a crate motor it comes direct from GM. The upside to salvage is you can get a Denali 6.2 engine and trans for far less than a crate LS3 and still have nearly the same power.

If you look at our website we have an estimator to give you a general idea of what a swap runs using a salvage motor. There are a lot of performance options available as well but require a phone call.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Have you already talked to a shop about doing the swap for you? They should be able to provide you with enough information on the pros and cons of each. We only do turnkey swaps and when we do a salvage motor we only buy from LKQ. If it’s a crate motor it comes direct from GM. The upside to salvage is you can get a Denali 6.2 engine and trans for far less than a crate LS3 and still have nearly the same power.

If you look at our website we have an estimator to give you a general idea of what a swap runs using a salvage motor. There are a lot of performance options available as well but require a phone call.

Thanks, I'll give it a look.

DaCooyon

You can get a purpose built engine that will way out perform a crate motor built local to you. So many choices around DFW. That said...its a rabbit hole of "while this is being done, might as well X." Of course you didn't specify which LS. If I'm picking from the GMPP site LS9 would be pretty sweet. ...or a LSX376-B8 with an F1 on it. :thumb::thumb: ;)

You can get a purpose built engine that will way out perform a crate motor built local to you. So many choices around DFW. That said...its a rabbit hole of "while this is being done, might as well X." Of course you didn't specify which LS. If I'm picking from the GMPP site LS9 would be pretty sweet. ...or a LSX376-B8 with an F1 on it. :thumb::thumb: ;)

I did not specify but I'll put it this way....Since I was a kid I always liked corvettes. My love for Jeeps far outweighs the Vette but why not mesh the vette with my Jeep. 2 for 1 :D

DaCooyon

I did not specify but I'll put it this way....Since I was a kid I always liked corvettes. My love for Jeeps far outweighs the Vette but why not mesh the vette with my Jeep. 2 for 1 :D

Perfect!! The LS9 was the OE motor for the Corvette ZR1! :rock: :brows:

Exodus 4x4

Sounds like a great starting point to me :thumb:

Funny, I just built a 6.2 with an LS9 cam. It’s pretty amazing even with the SC. 501/477 on the dyno. This is pretty much why I tell most people to save their money on a crate LS3. The truck engines with the larger intakes produce better low end torque which is what you’ll need in the Jeep.

Funny, I just built a 6.2 with an LS9 cam. It’s pretty amazing even with the SC. 501/477 on the dyno. This is pretty much why I tell most people to save their money on a crate LS3. The truck engines with the larger intakes produce better low end torque which is what you’ll need in the Jeep.

Good to know, I can always slap a vette cover on it...no one will know :cheesy:

SLO

I ended up doing a new crate L94 only because I got a good deal on it. It was only about $800 more than the pull outs I was looking at. Otherwise, I would have gone with a used engine. I would definitely go through a reputable shop near you. If Exodus is close, I would talk to Bubba and seriously consider them.

I ended up doing a new crate L94 only because I got a good deal on it. It was only about $800 more than the pull outs I was looking at. Otherwise, I would have gone with a used engine. I would definitely go through a reputable shop near you. If Exodus is close, I would talk to Bubba and seriously consider them.

Exodus is in the running...my buddy JJ just had his swap done by them. I like that I can put half down and finance the rest just a little further away than I really want. I may have to get over the distance though

Exodus 4x4

Exodus is in the running...my buddy JJ just had his swap done by them. I like that I can put half down and finance the rest just a little further away than I really want. I may have to get over the distance though

Yep. We just wrapped up the cam swap in his and the brake booster upgrade. It was unfortunate because we tried a new cam in his that had unbelievable torque but horrible mileage. Now with the LS9 cam he’ll have great power and mileage for such an awesome rig.

Yep. We just wrapped up the cam swap in his and the brake booster upgrade. It was unfortunate because we tried a new cam in his that had unbelievable torque but horrible mileage. Now with the LS9 cam he’ll have great power and mileage for such an awesome rig.

We work for the same City so he's gonna let me check it out next time he drives it in. His Jeep is very nicely done I agree

dillard09

SPG were way up but...
I dont mind 8-10 MPG but like being able to go from potty break to potty break instead of gas stop to gas stop. Need bigger tank for that.
#fuelcell. #drivenottow

Top Bottom