2012 Jeep JKU Tune Up

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
So this is my first write up to be honest

So D-day2.0 has 117000 miles, my mpg was starting to decrease and the only thing I hadnt done was a tune up.

I changed spark plugs and recharged my K/N filter

To start things off you will need

- 3/8 drive Wratchet w/ long extension
- 5/8in spak plug socket
- 8mm Socket
- 10mm Socket
- 10mm Wrench
- 3/8 torque wrench
- Spark plug gap tool
- 3/8 drive universal bit

20190104_153826.jpg

Parts list
- K/N recharge kit
- Champion RER8ZWYCB4 Iridium Spark plugs x6

20190104_153916.jpg

Before getting started I may note that one thing I didnt see any need of doing was replacing the intake manifold gaskets. However in all the videos I watched before doing this all people in the vids recommended replacing the intake manifold gaskets.
Look at POST #6 FOR INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET PART #

Step 1

Using 10mm Socket remove the air intake hose
20190104_130050.jpg

Step 2

Next thing using the 10mm, 8mm Socket with wratchet and extension begin removing the nuts, bolts, plugs and hoses from the intake manifold. This makes get to the plugs so much easier. Here are the pis of what I had to remove.
20190104_153624.jpg
20190104_153627.jpg
20190104_153630.jpg
20190104_153633.jpg
20190104_153640.jpg
20190104_153644.jpg
20190104_153652.jpg
20190104_153700.jpg
20190104_153718.jpg
20190104_153726.jpg
I know there will a few questions as to where everything is so feel free to ask if not sure.
Last but not least remove the foam at the back of the manifold which is held together with two 10mm bolts

Phew Step 3

Very carefully remove the intake manifold keeping it as clean as possible.
20190104_133217.jpg
20190104_133213.jpg
Next remove the foam surrounding the driver side coil packs
20190104_133213.jpg

Step 4

Using the 5/8in spark plug socket, 3/8 drive extention, 3/8 drive wratchet, 3/8 drive torque wrench and 10mm socket
Begin removing the spark plug coil packs. They are flexible and should pop off with ease.

20190104_142023.jpg
20190104_141745.jpg

Then remove and replace the spark plugs one at a time
After replacing each plug retighten by hand then torque each plug to 13ft/lbs.
20190104_143550.jpg

Step 5

Reinstall each coil pack and retighten the bolts to secure each coil pack torque to 13 ft/lbs
Reinstall the foam around the 3 driver side packs, then reinstall the intake manifold this may take a bit of time with so much being around the manifold but take your time. No Rush

Step 6

Reinstall the foam behind the intake manifold, then reintall each of the nuts and bolts around the manifold along with all of the plugs and hoses that were disconnected
Refer to Step 2 for pictoral reference
Retorque all the bolts around manifold to 11ft/lbs

Then its time to recharge your aftermarket air filter mine is a K/N or replace your stock filter if you have one this part of the write up is recharging a K/N filter. Refer to parts list for parts needed.

Step 1

With the air intake hose removed from replacing spark plugs, remove air filter.

Using the K/N filter cleaning spray each side of the filter evenly and let sit for 10 minutes.

Step 2

Using low pressure water wash filter from clean side out.
Shake off excess water and let filter dry.

Step 3

When filter has dried up using the K/N aerosol filter oil spray each of ths filter evenly from approximately 6 inches away and let filter wick for 20 minutes.

Step 4

Once filter has wicked for 20 minutes reinstall filter into air box and reinstall air intake hose.

Now that everything has been connected, tightened and torqued. Fire up the Jeep and ride.
Out of my 6 plugs I had 3 bad plugs, but I replaced all 6 while I was at it.

The standard gap is .044 inches I had .050, .055 and .056 inches.

20190104_150417.jpg

This last picture represents how the plugs sat in the engine from left to right is the passenger and driver side plugs.

Feel free to let me know of anything I may have overlooked or anything that needs to be changed.
I hope yall benefit from this as much as I did D-day2.0 runs smoothe as silk.

Sent from my LG-US701 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

bmkrinne

Thanks for the nice detailed write up! My ‘12 JKUR is due for a tune up fairly soon and will be referencing this post.

BTW, can you change the plugs without removing the intake manifold?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the nice detailed write up! My ‘12 JKUR is due for a tune up fairly soon and will be referencing this post.

BTW, can you change the plugs without removing the intake manifold?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
From all the videos I watched about 10+ videos theres no way to avoid removing the manifold, spacing inside the engine bay is real tight.
Technically you can change the passenger side plugs without removing the manifold but you would still have to remove it for the driver side.

Thanks for the detailed write up! I’m about to do my 2014 JK. Were you able to re-use the intake manifold gaskets to did you replace them as well?

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the detailed write up! I’m about to do my 2014 JK. Were you able to re-use the intake manifold gaskets to did you replace them as well?
Some people go ahead and replace them considering you dont get underneath manifold too often I checked and my were fine so I left them alone and I didnt buy any new ones when i bought the plugs
I will admit that in the videos all people did recommend replacing them but due too funds I didnt. Good point Ill add this as a note in the write up I dont have part # though

Here is the part number for intake mainfold gaskets incase anybody would like to replace the old ones in the process.
View attachment 318786
View attachment 318787

Awesome. Thanks for that! When I had the oil cooler replaced last year I asked them to replace the spark plugs... when I picked it up they handed me the new plugs and told me the tech “forgot” 🤨 so I’ve had plugs sitting in my cabinet waiting until I had the time and energy to deal with it.

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
Awesome. Thanks for that! When I had the oil cooler replaced last year I asked them to replace the spark plugs... when I picked it up they handed me the new plugs and told me the tech “forgot” 🤨 so I’ve had plugs sitting in my cabinet waiting until I had the time and energy to deal with it.
No problem bud, dang that sucks man thats part of reason why i do lot of what i do myself if i can
Nice write up.
Thanks WJCO it was and experience took me bout 3.5 hrs to do, but it was worth it to me
Thanks. I'm gonna have to change the plugs in my wife's minivan soon. I thought they were joking when they said the intake had to come off. 🤪

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
I wished I didnt have to take it off as well but it wasnt that bad just took some time is all

Top Bottom