Jeep Comms

paul.mecj

What are you guys using for comms in your rigs? I live in western WA, very mountainous, and am looking for something that will work in the mountains for both in-vehicle and out-of-vehicle. Thinking of HAM but not sure if practical.

wjtstudios

Hooked
A lot depends on who you are running with and what they have.

I run a standard 5 watt CB because most everyone has those, but they are short distance comms.

I also run a 40 watt GMRS and a couple of my friends run those. It is much much more affective. I’m talking miles and it’s as simple as plug and play. No tuning, classes etc. you can also carry a couple 15 watt handhelds if you want have mobility. They are repeater capable, so you can extend your range with that. But the only drawback is not many people run them. But I love them.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

naysjp

CB installed for now but I do have a HAM license. I use a handheld Baofang HAM radio until I have a mobile one installed.

wjtstudios

Hooked
How do you like it, any complaints? Also what are you using for an antenna setup?

None. It’s a super simple install. No grounds, tuning, etc. I am easily able to talk to my brother-in-law from my house to his 2+ miles away with multiple subdivisions between us.

The antennas are much smaller.

Image1547258091.639309.jpg

Just a little whip.

Houndy95

None. It’s a super simple install. No grounds, tuning, etc. I am easily able to talk to my brother-in-law from my house to his 2+ miles away with multiple subdivisions between us.

The antennas are much smaller.

Just a little whip.

Nice thanks for the info. I like the pros to a system like this. But like you said its not something everyone has. I have a cobra 75 and while I like it, it has its cons and have been looking into other alternatives to run with it.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Nice thanks for the info. I like the pros to a system like this. But like you said its not something everyone has. I have a cobra 75 and while I like it, it has its cons and have been looking into other alternatives to run with it.

The nice thing is the 75 packs away nice and clean. You can set it up when you need it. If you can get the guys that you run with to move in that direction, it’s well worth it.

Steve Williams

In the groups I run with out here in the Southwest a CB is required comms. Everyone has one. The Cobra 75 is a great unit for the Jeep. You just have to make sure the antenna is properly grounded and you use a small six speaker so you can hear the thing.
I also carry a GMRS and have had the unit and license for a year now. My issue is that I have never found anyone else that has one to talk to. I carry two GMRS handhelds and use them to have comms with a friend that I give one too at distances up to about 3 miles.

I am also carrying a new ham handheld I just picked up a couple months ago. It’s more likely to find some to talk to. Many of the groups I run with have one or two folks on the run with a ham radio. The baofeng Chinese 5 watt handhelds are becoming more common in Jeep groups. At $65 or less they are the crack for amateur (ham) radio, they get you started and before long you wish you had a $1000 Icom 50 watt touchscreen. A technician ham license is required to operate but it’s not too tough to get. It took me a week of study to pass. There are a number of free apps that help you study. It only costs $15 and that’s for the test. The license is good for 10 years. It allows you to communicate on most common simplex radio bands and you’re good to go.

Sorry this is so long, let me summarize. I highly recommend you get a CB for group runs. If you want a little longer range pickup a ham handheld and get the license. Check with the groups you might run with there and see if they normally use the GMRS radios.

Happy to answer any questions.

Houndy95

The nice thing is the 75 packs away nice and clean. You can set it up when you need it. If you can get the guys that you run with to move in that direction, it’s well worth it.

Yeah that is why I went with the 75 to begin with, since its not very intrusive. I'm definitely going to keep the GMRS in mind. Thanks again.

naysjp

I like having the HAM as there are some race channels that can be used and they are not monitored as strictly as HAM channels. You don't have to say your callsign every 20 min like you do on a HAM channel.

MericaMade

I went Icom race radio since everyone in my group uses them. Its 65 watts output and I just purchased a rugged radio antenna kit. Simple install and works great. Screenshot_20190112-112502_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg

Top Bottom