My first TJ

DH2002

So my 2014 JK is no more. Turns out the oil leak ended up being a cracked block that of course I ended up being outside of warranty for. But I took it as a sign because I had another child due and needed to extra space anyway. So ford gave me 11 for the Jeep which I only owed a couple of grand on and I got myself a certified pre owned Ford F-150 5.0. A couple of weeks went by and after taking with the wife we decided to look around for a project rig that can sit in the driveway and I can work on no stress.

So now I present my 1999 Jeep TJ sport. The engine needs some work as it has some trouble starting and the 4wd needs work. It’s got 215k miles on the body and 100k on the engine. The body shop I bought it from knew nothing about it so I went off car fax and looking at it. It appears the frame had been cleaned up and patched and there is minor rust throughout but nothing crazy.

Biggest thing is I get to take my time. One weekend one part at a time and my wallet and wife is glad lol.
IMG_0332.jpg

Last edited:

DH2002

I decided to do a quick check of components and this is what i got so far:
Front Axle: Dana 30- tag says 3.07
Rear Axle: Dana 44- tag says 3.73

Obv a prob if I want to use 4wd so I need to open them up and clean them out and confirm.. fullsizeoutput_87f2.jpg fullsizeoutput_87f1.jpg

DH2002

I was wondering why I had a different transmission and different manifold requiring 4 02 sensors as the 99s had the AX transmission and only 2 sensors checked the engine block and it turns out its a 3/2000 engine in a 99 and in 2000 they made all the changes.

IMG_0454.jpg

You could jack up your axles, spin the left and right tire on each axle equally and count the driveshaft revolutions.
That'll will at the least tell you if you have matching gears front and rear. And what the ratio is in each.
I'd guess, and hope for your sake that there's 4.10s in both and they just put the factory tags back on.

Top Bottom