Hitch mounted cargo carrier

dustinfromohio

I’m going to design/build my own hitch mounted cargo carrier with the idea it will hold a large yeti or portable container for long trips. Anyone design their own or use one they like? Just looking for some features to add or avoid.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I think this thread has some pics: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/19833-Overlanding-Gear

I use one of those basic folding ones you can find at harbor freight. I think they're around 100 bucks. It works well, but it will move around a little. I thought of getting one of those little hitch centering brackets. Only other downside to me is that you can't access stuff in the Jeep without unloading it. Other than that, it works fine.

DSC05612.JPG

dustinfromohio

I think this thread has some pics: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/19833-Overlanding-Gear

I use one of those basic folding ones you can find at harbor freight. I think they're around 100 bucks. It works well, but it will move around a little. I thought of getting one of those little hitch centering brackets. Only other downside to me is that you can't access stuff in the Jeep without unloading it. Other than that, it works fine.

View attachment 318904

That was kind of my gripe too, having to unload to let the dogs out every stop. Hoping someone smarter than me has an easy work around. I was thinking some kind of swing hinge but I don’t know how strong it would be that way.

WJCO

Meme King
That was kind of my gripe too, having to unload to let the dogs out every stop. Hoping someone smarter than me has an easy work around. I was thinking some kind of swing hinge but I don’t know how strong it would be that way.

You could build a swing out and weld a hitch receiver to that.

Also, LoD makes a JK rack that can hold the cooler above the spare tire and opens along with the tailgate. I don't recall exactly how it works.

You could build a swing out and weld a hitch receiver to that.

Also, LoD makes a JK rack that can hold the cooler above the spare tire and opens along with the tailgate. I don't recall exactly how it works.

I was thinking something like your old tire carrier, would be easy enough to copy that design and just make the side a more secure latch to hold the weight.

dustinfromohio

IMG_0990.jpg

I found this last night which is about perfect except it’s only rated for 250 lbs. I’m not sure sacrificing additional weight capacity is worth tailgate access. I’ll have to weigh out my options.

Bierpower

Hooked
We just used a hitch carrier on my wife's Cherokee to drive to Florida and back to Colorado over Christmas/New Year's. We just shifted the car seat over a little from center so we could fold down the narrow portion of the back seat. That's where we loaded and unloaded the dogs from.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

WillysJkJeeper

1upusa makes one i have there bike rack for 6 years now and have had zero issues there expensive but there well built and made in usa. It folds up when not in use and the attachment to the hitch is the best part it locks itself into the hitch tube and there is zero movement in the hitch unlike others that use hitch pins.

Bigjimbo

Kuat is a rebranded rak attach. These and the yakima back swing are all about the same price.

Wilco's hitchswing is the most expensive, but looks solid. The swinging hitch is 5" higher and canted at 5* to help with departure angles.

I'm leaning toward the Wilco, but I always seem to want the most expensive part.

Top Bottom