Thread: Running JL rear bumper-lesss?

Fresh Catch

Running JL rear bumper-lesss?

Hello all...1st time poster.
    Wayalife posted a video sometime back removing the bumper on his JL. I have watched the video's and it seemed great. Body never was hit.

I saw how stock bumper pushes up in some instances before he removed and damages body. After he removed and using the stinger, seemed to me to be the hot setup.

Than he posted a video where without the bumper he damaged the bottom of the body in the corners.

Any thoughts on this. I didn't see how they got damaged. I still like the idea, but I am on the fence. I saw in another persons video(I suspect posting the video persons name is taboo here?) someone made skirts which screw onto the body protecting the area's from side to side. I don't know that a company makes them.
    Anyone know or seen what I am talking about? If marketed I think it is terrific idea and I would buy.

The trail that we damaged our rear corners on wasn't your average trail and I would argue that the damage could have been prevented. We have run our JK bumperless for years and have never had this be a problem. If it matters, we have since repaired the damage and are STILL running bumperless.

Regarding the trim that bolts on the pinch seam goes, I can almost guarantee they wouldn't have made a difference on the trail we did our damage on. If I thought they would help, I would be running them now.

As far as posting up other videos go, it isn't so much "taboo" as it is rude. Cindy and I work hard to pay for and provide this online community to guys like you and for free. Our videos are a big part of what makes that possible. We appreciate your respect for us and not posting the video in question.

Not That Kind of Engineer olram30's Avatar
    Those rustys valance armor? I asked a member here about them. I forgot his name or what thread. But I think that's what you're asking about.

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    The trail that we damaged our rear corners on wasn't your average trail and I would argue that the damage could have been prevented. We have run our JK bumperless for years and have never had this be a problem. If it matters, we have since repaired the damage and are STILL running bumperless.

Regarding the trim that bolts on the pinch seam goes, I can almost guarantee they wouldn't have made a difference on the trail we did our damage on. If I thought they would help, I would be running them now.

As far as posting up other videos go, it isn't so much "taboo" as it is rude. Cindy and I work hard to pay for and provide this online community to guys like you and for free. Our videos are a big part of what makes that possible. We appreciate your respect for us and not posting the video in question.
    Good to know Eddie. Like I said I didn't catch how they were damaged, but living out there you guys have a lot more serious rock crawling than I do here. I am glad to hear you still running bumperless, that pushes me more to going that route.

Thanks for all your vids. There great. Have helped me a lot in my research in purchasing a Jeep and as too the proper upgrades for my Jeep. Keep up the good work. I will support you how I can. I plan to purchase Stinger and CB rack from your site.

Nothing but a Thing RESURECTIONJK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRubicon View Post
    Good to know Eddie. Like I said I didn't catch how they were damaged, but living out there you guys have a lot more serious rock crawling than I do here. I am glad to hear you still running bumperless, that pushes me more to going that route.

Thanks for all your vids. There great. Have helped me a lot in my research in purchasing a Jeep and as too the proper upgrades for my Jeep. Keep up the good work. I will support you how I can. I plan to purchase Stinger and CB rack from your site.
    I’d go back and watch their JLX series and you’ll be able to see where and how the damage occurred. That should give you a pretty good idea of what you can and cannot get away with.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRubicon View Post

Glad to know our videos are helpful to you and I appreciate your support

Quote Originally Posted by RESURECTIONJK View Post
    I’d go back and watch their JLX series and you’ll be able to see where and how the damage occurred. That should give you a pretty good idea of what you can and cannot get away with.
    Yup, you can see it in the video. If we were in a smaller group and not so pressed for time, it would have been easy to throw in a rock or two to help prevent the damage. That or back up and take a slightly different line.

Nothing but a Thing RESURECTIONJK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Yup, you can see it in the video. If we were in a smaller group and not so pressed for time, it would have been easy to throw in a rock or two to help prevent the damage. That or back up and take a slightly different line.
    Did ya send Mel the bill?

Those Rusty's rear guards actually look pretty good. They wrap underneath the corners so they'll give protection to the pinch seam like a slider and not just cover up damage and catch on shit.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door