Mail Call - 1975 Jeep DJ5

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Well as much as I hate build threads I figured I would start one for this. Piginajeep sent me a link to this the other night and I went and picked it up today. 1975 DJ5 with V6. AMC 232 3 speed 2WD. 77k miles. Spec sheet on rear axle says limited slip but I’m not sure yet since I haven’t dug into it. Floorboards have some rust so I will replace them but other than that it’s pretty solid. Drove it a few miles tonight.

Lights work, dash lights work, runs and idles great. Front seat in pretty good shape. Brakes might need a little work since they have never been touched. Fires right up first try. Previous owner was going to run it in the gambler rally and I’m glad he didn’t so I could save it.

Plans are not much. Gonna fix the floorboards, turn signals, speedometer and come up with a temp mount for a passenger seat so we can wheel it. Maybe try and get the original paint job back eventually. Anyway here are some pics. I’ll post more tomorrow when I start tearing it apart.

Picking it up

IMG_7043.jpg

At home

IMG_7044.jpg

Parked in the garage next to the others. Three Jeep household now

IMG_7047.jpg

IMG_7072.jpg

Pictures of the exterior. All doors work and latch

IMG_7062.jpg
IMG_7063.jpg
IMG_7064.jpg
IMG_7065.jpg
IMG_7067.jpg
IMG_7069.jpg

Motor

IMG_7070.jpg

Interior pictures

IMG_7066.jpg
IMG_7053.jpg
IMG_7054.jpg
IMG_7056.jpg
IMG_7058.jpg

Wiper motor. Wipers work too

IMG_7057.jpg

And lastly, at least this Jeep has AC in it!

IMG_7061.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations on getting this awesome DJ! I have to say that I'm kinda jealous. Nice that it'll be something that Tina can drive too :cheesy:

Regarding the floorboards, is the rust bad enough to really warrant a replacement? Any chance you could just cut out the cancer and weld in patches?

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it :thumb:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Congratulations on getting this awesome DJ! I have to say that I'm kinda jealous. Nice that it'll be something that Tina can drive too :cheesy:

Regarding the floorboards, is the rust bad enough to really warrant a replacement? Any chance you could just cut out the cancer and weld in patches?

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it :thumb:

Yeah she can drive this one. I tried to get her to drive it tonight but she wasn’t having it.

As for the floorboards, I will probably cut out and replace. The rust is really only where the heal of your foot would rest while on the gas or brake. I can probably do a 12” or 18” piece and that would do it. There isn’t any rust in the rear cargo area s that’s good.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
Wow...this could be a cool little campmobile...and I'm missing some mail from '75...could you look behind the seats?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah she can drive this one. I tried to get her to drive it tonight but she wasn’t having it.

As for the floorboards, I will probably cut out and replace. The rust is really only where the heal of your foot would rest while on the gas or brake. I can probably do a 12” or 18” piece and that would do it. There isn’t any rust in the rear cargo area s that’s good.

:cheesy: But it's an automatic :crazyeyes:

Good deal on the floor boards.

Top Bottom