Teralow 4.1 or stock Dana 300

Silverfox

I’ve got a 76 CJ7 with a fuel injected 304. I’m putting in a Ford T18 4 speed with the 6.32:1 1st gear. I’m swapping the Dana 20 out for a 300 while I’m at it. Currently running 35” tires with 4.10 diffs. Thinking of going to 37’s maybe down the rd. I’m worried about losing to much wheel speed going to the 4:1. What’s the thoughts? 4:1 or stock 2.62:1?
The 4:1 gives me a crawl ratio of 103:1
The 2.62 gives me a crawl ratio of around 67:1

I like to play in the rocks in the hill country of Texas. Hoping to take my cj down the rubicon in the next couple years. We don’t go to the beach and I’ll go through mud if I have to but I’ll drive around it if I can.

Looking for opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RockingK

I have a 1980 4.2 with 4:10’s,T18 and a Lomax 4:1 in my D300. Love it, but I do Rocks and trails, but like Baddest cross said the type of wheeling will be a big factor! Good luck, totally dig CJ’s.

jdofmemi

Since you have the 304 you will have enough power to do the wheel speed things like sand or mud in 4-Hi, and you will love the 4:1 low for rocks.

If you have an underpowered rig, where you can't run hi range, the 4:1 can be trouble in snow, sand, mud, etc.

Top Bottom