Toe and Caster Settings

bhaner

With 40" tires should my toe-in settings be different than the factory spec?

I currently have it set at 1/16" toe in. Just wondering if it should be different.

I have set my caster anywhere from 5° to 10° and it doesn't seem to change how it drives much.

It is currently set to 7° as directed in the PSC instructions.

The problem is I have a wonder going down the road. I am constantly over correcting. I would go as far as to call the steering "twitchy". You want to turn slightly left... You turn slightly left... But it turns a ton left... So you turn right to correct... Then left to correct that. And so on.

I am not sure if it is an alignment issue or something to do with the PSC assist/gear box.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With 40" tires should my toe-in settings be different than the factory spec?

I currently have it set at 1/16" toe in. Just wondering if it should be different.

I have set my caster anywhere from 5° to 10° and it doesn't seem to change how it drives much.

It is currently set to 7° as directed in the PSC instructions.

The problem is I have a wonder going down the road. I am constantly over correcting. I would go as far as to call the steering "twitchy". You want to turn slightly left... You turn slightly left... But it turns a ton left... So you turn right to correct... Then left to correct that. And so on.

I am not sure if it is an alignment issue or something to do with the PSC assist/gear box.

You've got more than enough caster and you want your toe in setting to be the same. Just because you're running bigger tires doesn't change what it should be. As you drive forward in a rear wheel drive vehicle (or primarily so anyway), your front of your front wheels will want to pull outward and you just want enough toe so that your wheels will be parallel when driving. Too much toe in and that'll never happen.

Your problem or I should say, what you're feeling is your PSC. Try not to grip your steering wheel as that will cause you to over correct. Try holding it lightly on the highway and eventually, you'll get used to it. OR, you might be able to install a different size pulley on your pump to reduce the amount of fluid that gets pushed through the system but of course, you'll feel this reduction of steering in parking lots and on the rocks.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Try a little more toe in. I would venture to say that, with the limitations of typical measurement methodology, 1/16th” is within the margin of error, meaning that you may actually have no toe in at all and possibly toe out. Either could produce the feeling you describe, exacerbated by the hydraulic assist steering.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Try a little more toe in. I would venture to say that, with the limitations of typical measurement methodology, 1/16th” is within the margin of error, meaning that you may actually have no toe in at all and possibly toe out. Either could produce the feeling you describe, exacerbated by the hydraulic assist steering.

Personally, I'd have to disagree. While too much toe-in could cause handling issues, no toe would cause you to be toe out when driving. While that would cause poor tire wear, handling would actually feel a little better. In fact, purposefully toeing out is one of the best ways to temporarily mitigate death wobble.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Personally, I'd have to disagree. While too much toe-in could cause handling issues, no toe would cause you to be toe out when driving. While that would cause poor tire wear, handling would actually feel a little better. In fact, purposefully toeing out is one of the best ways to temporarily mitigate death wobble.

Maybe it’s different with Jeeps. I had toe out on my Mazda MX-5 for a while. It made for a very quick turning car, but required more attention to keep it going straight.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe it’s different with Jeeps. I had toe out on my Mazda MX-5 for a while. It made for a very quick turning car, but required more attention to keep it going straight.

IFS with rack and pinion steering will handle very differently than a solid front axle with drag link and tie-rod.

bhaner

You've got more than enough caster and you want your toe in setting to be the same. Just because you're running bigger tires doesn't change what it should be. As you drive forward in a rear wheel drive vehicle (or primarily so anyway), your front of your front wheels will want to pull outward and you just want enough toe so that your wheels will be parallel when driving. Too much toe in and that'll never happen.

Your problem or I should say, what you're feeling is your PSC. Try not to grip your steering wheel as that will cause you to over correct. Try holding it lightly on the highway and eventually, you'll get used to it. OR, you might be able to install a different size pulley on your pump to reduce the amount of fluid that gets pushed through the system but of course, you'll feel this reduction of steering in parking lots and on the rocks.

Good info. I was kinda feeling like the ram was giving it a little push whenever I move the wheel. Guess that is just normal.

I was thinking of setting up some "T" valves to disable the ram when I drive it on the highway. That way I could plug off the ports on the box and connect the lines to the ram.

It's an idea. I didn't say it was a good one. lol.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good info. I was kinda feeling like the ram was giving it a little push whenever I move the wheel. Guess that is just normal.

I was thinking of setting up some "T" valves to disable the ram when I drive it on the highway. That way I could plug off the ports on the box and connect the lines to the ram.

It's an idea. I didn't say it was a good one. lol.

LOL! Can't say that I've ever heard of that being done before :crazyeyes:

bhaner

LOL! Can't say that I've ever heard of that being done before :crazyeyes:

That reminds me... Did you ever have any issues on Rubicat running the factory drag link with the 1550 knuckle? It is the only remaining stock part on my front end. Just wondering how they hold up. Do you know of an upgrade that will fit in that tight knuckle area? Everything is really close!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That reminds me... Did you ever have any issues on Rubicat running the factory drag link with the 1550 knuckle? It is the only remaining stock part on my front end. Just wondering how they hold up. Do you know of an upgrade that will fit in that tight knuckle area? Everything is really close!

Nope. I've always been a fan of factory track bars and drag links. Being that you have a ram assist, you shouldn't have any issues with either. Of course, I was running the Dynatrac drag link adjuster being that it lengthened the drag link and added strength.

bhaner

Nope. I've always been a fan of factory track bars and drag links. Being that you have a ram assist, you shouldn't have any issues with either. Of course, I was running the Dynatrac drag link adjuster being that it lengthened the drag link and added strength.

Good news. Yeah I have the same. Came with the axles.

It just bugs me that it says "Dynatrac" upside down. LOL!

Top Bottom