Harmonic damper on T-Case?

Ddays

Hooked
I believe this is an old one of Rubicat back in the day and I remembered seeing this damper hanging off of the T-Case. Anyone else have one of these on theirs? I understand what the purpose is kinda, but wonder why the newer JK's don't have them?

DSC08409.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, that was on Moby and even back in 07, some came with them and some didn't. I almost got the impression that New Process bench tested their t-cases and just added them on ones that needed them.

Ddays

Hooked
Actually, that was on Moby and even back in 07, some came with them and some didn't. I almost got the impression that New Process bench tested their t-cases and just added them on ones that needed them.

Gotcha. I just threw another Rubi Tcase in mine and am in no big hurry to grenade another one of these damn things. Just wondered how effective they really were...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Gotcha. I just threw another Rubi Tcase in mine and am in no big hurry to grenade another one of these damn things. Just wondered how effective they really were...

Well, what I can tell you is that in the last 11+ years, I have seen them come both ways and even on newer JK's. MOST don't have one.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The single best thing you can do to make sure you don't wreck another t-case is to make sure your front drive shaft is balanced 100% and not vibrating at all. If you're running a PR60 or the like with locking hubs, that'll be a HUGE help especially on the highway. Since the JK came out, I've personally seen about half a dozen t-cases crack including mine and I have seen a few fail catastrophically. In almost every case, driveline vibration was the root cause.

Ddays

Hooked
The single best thing you can do to make sure you don't wreck another t-case is to make sure your front drive shaft is balanced 100% and not vibrating at all. If you're running a PR60 or the like with locking hubs, that'll be a HUGE help especially on the highway. Since the JK came out, I've personally seen about half a dozen t-cases crack including mine and I have seen a few fail catastrophically. In almost every case, driveline vibration was the root cause.

Agree. As of now I have no vibrations at all. I just remembered seeing that damper a while ago. My winter maintenance now includes having the driveshaft inspected and balanced. I want no repeats of that shitshow.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Agree. As of now I have no vibrations at all. I just remembered seeing that damper a while ago. My winter maintenance now includes having the driveshaft inspected and balanced. I want no repeats of that shitshow.

No, I wouldn't want to repeat that either. Sounds like you're on the right track for another long but good trip :thumb:

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I bought and installed one on my 15 after chasing my tail trying to find a vibration. I ultimately concluded it was a resonance problem and the dampener helped a good deal. [emoji106].

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JBF

I bought and installed one on my 15 after chasing my tail trying to find a vibration. I ultimately concluded it was a resonance problem and the dampener helped a good deal. [emoji106].

Semi-necro bump.

Do you have a good part number for the one you got? I have a '14 auto and would like to see if this part might ease some of my harmonic vibe symptoms.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Semi-necro bump.

Do you have a good part number for the one you got? I have a '14 auto and would like to see if this part might ease some of my harmonic vibe symptoms.

I think this is it but you’ll want to make sure. 52853392AA I might have the receipt on my work computer but I’m on vacation til next week.

Top Bottom