September trip to SW Colorado

YDAJC

Looking at making a Jeep run to SW Colorado in early September.

Plan is to drive out from Virginia over Labor day Weekend and land in Georgetown as a jumping off point to begin a 12 day adventure exploring the area. I already know the drive out will be brutal but hopfully the New long travel Evo suspension and King Coil overs will make that somewhat easier. I am thinking that the timing might be good as most of the tourist will have or be in the process of heading back and the trails should be less crowded. I also want to get there before the snow flys and i understand that the snow can fly at anytime during the year at altitude. Thought is to center around Leadville and Ouray as bases of operation with day trips to the trails. had thought about "overlanding" but the idea of a heavy tent atop the JKURR is a little concerning. Renting a house thru homes to go or something simular is what we are looking at right now with overnight provisions (sleeping bag shelter) in case of emergancy or we run late on a trail.

Some of the trails we are looking at are:

Holy Cross,
Black Bear/Imogene Pass
Alpine loop ( engineer pass/cinnamon pass)
Hacket gulch
Birdseye gulch
Mineral Creek,
Poughkipsee Creek
Red Cone
And others.

Since this will be our first time out the area I am interested in any information "don't miss this trail" , Dos and Don'ts., What gear we should have, nice to take, don't need. I am an east coast guy and regularly run trails here running trails in CO will be a bit new. Is there a trail permit required to run trails in CO?

The Jeeps are fairly well equiped with lockers, winches roll cages lifts and tires as well as expirenced drivers. Looking into GPS driven trail maps on Tablets to help with navigation any expirence with these woudl be helpful in decicing which way to go.

If others would like to join us on this run please let me know right now there are 3 rigs with 4/5 people.

Welcoem all thoughts and comments.

Thanks

boardsurfer

Scratch Hackett, add Chinaman Gulch. Let us know when you're in, I'll join for one or two of those. Maybe consider Wheeler Lake if you're at all near Breckenridge.

Last edited:

Slimebones

Scratch Hackett, add Chinaman Gulch. Let us know when you're in, I'll join for one or two of those. Maybe consider Wheeler Lake if you're at all near Breckenridge.

Also might want to add Spring Creek on your way out there if you are traveling west on I-70. Or east for that matter on return trip.

Last edited:

kmg2690

Co trip

I am interested in joining your group. I live in western md. I actually planned on doing the same trip alone but would like to have a group to go with. 2403298293 looking forward to hearing from you.

YDAJC

Chinaman Gulch is on the list thank you for your sugestion. Now working how to link days and locations together. Seen Videos of Wheeler lake and want to incorporate that into this run. What do you say scratch hackett?

Cheers

YDAJC

Also might want to add Spring Creek on your way out there if you are traveling west on I-70. Or east for that matter on return trip.

We are heading out on Interstate 70, will look up spring creek. Where off of 70 is it?

Cheers

YDAJC

I am interested in joining your group. I live in western md. I actually planned on doing the same trip alone but would like to have a group to go with. 2403298293 looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you for the reply, you are very welcome to join us. will give you a ring later this week. Or drop me a PM

Cheers

YDAJC

I’m moving to Boulder in May/June I’d be down to join y’all or meet up with y’all at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bring it! The current plan is to make Georgetown by Labor Day an dhead out the day after. 3 days and 1800 miles on the highway in a JKU I will need a minute to unfold and walk before catching the trails. Looking to stage in a couple of places and have not nailed down lodging yet but looking at Homes to go.com in the Leadville area and Ouray area.

Cheers

Angry Aussie

Bring it! The current plan is to make Georgetown by Labor Day an dhead out the day after. 3 days and 1800 miles on the highway in a JKU I will need a minute to unfold and walk before catching the trails. Looking to stage in a couple of places and have not nailed down lodging yet but looking at Homes to go.com in the Leadville area and Ouray area.

Cheers

Sounds good man. Keep me posted. I’ll keep you posted on our move and move dates. Our dates aren’t locked in yet but getting closer everyday to knowing when we can head up there.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

boardsurfer

Chinaman Gulch is on the list thank you for your sugestion. Now working how to link days and locations together. Seen Videos of Wheeler lake and want to incorporate that into this run. What do you say scratch hackett?

Cheers

Hackett is a fine trail with good views and it ends at the Platte river which is a great place for lunch. It is little more than a dirt road though and there are 2 obstacles your Jeep wont even notice. If you're driving across the country for wheelin, there are better places to spend your time.

We are heading out on Interstate 70, will look up spring creek. Where off of 70 is it?

Cheers

Spring Creek is about 30 seconds off the highway in Downieville.

YDAJC

Hackett is a fine trail with good views and it ends at the Platte river which is a great place for lunch. It is little more than a dirt road though and there are 2 obstacles your Jeep wont even notice. If you're driving across the country for wheelin, there are better places to spend your time.

Spring Creek is about 30 seconds off the highway in Downieville.

Thanks for your thoughts on Hackett, this site is proving to be a good source of information and contacts.

Got yrou vid. great camera work and nice rigs!

Thank again.

Top Bottom