Removing muffler...

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
I see lot's of people denting tail pipe, damaging muffler, or just plain ripping it off from off-roading. All JL's. Has anyone tried just removing the muffler when off-roading, than put it back on?

Whitarmy

I feel like the pain of dealing with the rubber hangers, even with the exhaust hanger tool, would make it not worth it. I changed out my factory exhaust to eliminate the huge factory muffler to solve this. Not sure if flowmaster has it out yet for the JL, but I see Ripp has one now. But then again, it wasn’t ever an issue until I started pushing my limits on rocks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jmw015

I see lot's of people denting tail pipe, damaging muffler, or just plain ripping it off from off-roading. All JL's. Has anyone tried just removing the muffler when off-roading, than put it back on?

I’ve removed my muffler and installed a turn down just before the bumper. It’s not too loud. The clearance gained in the back makes it worth it. Taking it on and off isn’t too much of a chore. The 2 hangers at the rear can be unbolted from the frame rather than fighting with the rubber isolators.

MericaMade

I’ve removed my muffler and installed a turn down just before the bumper. It’s not too loud. The clearance gained in the back makes it worth it. Taking it on and off isn’t too much of a chore. The 2 hangers at the rear can be unbolted from the frame rather than fighting with the rubber isolators.

I removed mine and it did not sounds bad at first but after a long trail I hated it. I just cut out res and put in a straight through Flowmaster and let the exhaust dump out the rear where it would usually connect into the rear muffler. Love it now and was only 80 bucks.

Lojo

I removed mine and it did not sounds bad at first but after a long trail I hated it. I just cut out res and put in a straight through Flowmaster and let the exhaust dump out the rear where it would usually connect into the rear muffler. Love it now and was only 80 bucks.

Which flowmaster did you choose?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Yup, you can remove it but your exhaust will sound kinda shitty. At least, in my opinion. It's not horrible but far from nice. You will get the benefit of not hitting the muffler though.

Top Bottom