Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Making the B Pillar removable on a 4 door.

Fresh Catch
    Awesome work, canít wait to see it finished.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Great build!

Slow going, been bz with other things. Finished the custom touches to the cage, I forgot to take some photos along the way. But I'll show it all once its put back together. I did drop the cage off today to get it powder coated, wont get it back till mid to end of next week.

Working on the wiring a little, not much progress nor have I figured a solution for everything , but it will come together. This is the bundle of wires most of which are no longer needed.

Once the cage was welded out I put the hard top and feedom panels back on, intalled the B pillars and the doors. It all goes back together like it should.

For the B pillars I took two of the threaded sleeves that came with the cage that were for the seat belts and installed them at the B pillar, one on each side. So there will be a 7/16" bolt on top and two on bottom holding the B pillar in place.

Last edited by maskale; 02-15-2019 at 04:50 AM.

I ordered Corbeau XRS seats with harnesses. Should have ordered two and test fit them first. They arent going to work in the back. The X brace takes up a lot of rear leg room, which I knew, but the XRS seat cousion is longer than the factory seats and really cuts down even more on the leg room. The biggest issue is the seat hight though. They are too tall, it puts the passengers heads very close to the rear upper cross bar, I think this cross bar is in a bad spot, should have been put a couple inches back or bowed up like the B pillar cross bar does. Im either going to install the factory rear seats or the Corbeau bench seat, but its only 42" wide, a little narrow. I'll use the extra XRS seats for my M715 project.

Mounting the wetsounds sound bar on the C pillar cross bar is also close to the passengers heads. But I rearly have back seat passengers so going a head and mounting it there. I do not recommend this if you use the back seats much.

For mounting the sound bar I took some heavy wall 1/8" pipe and drilled it out to tap 5/16-18" threads, then welded them into the roll bar.

I took some scrap metal left over from some skid plate and cut some brackets for mounting a jack. Like I said I forgot to take some pics, but I'll show it all once its all back together.

Not much of an update, but its coming. Most importantly it actually all bolts back together and all the doors fit and work just like before.

Oh I did start tearing into the rear doors to make them manual, I found someone local that wants the power window and locks. So going to trade door guts with him.
    Last edited by maskale; 02-15-2019 at 04:50 AM.

Oh, So this is Genright cage with all the options, In my research no one could say what it weighs. It weighs 232lbs, plus 34lbs of brackets and hardware that install in the Jeep, so total cage weight is 266lbs. The factory cage, just the metal weighs 90lbs. I still have to weigh all the seatbelts, trim and other peices that I have removed, minus what I add back in like 5pt harnesses and wetsounds sound bar to see what the end result is, Im guessing that the total weight removed from the Jeep will be around 150lbs.

If you plan to assemble this cage, expect half day to most of the day to install all the brackets in the Jeep, 2hrs of cleaning and prepping all the tubes, 1-2hrs prewelding holes and sleeves plus 2-3hrs to tac everything up. TIG welding will take 7-9hrs of stright welding, a little over 2lbs of filler rod and about 150cf of argon. Most of the cage can be assembled with two people, the X-bars takes three people. Getting the cage in and out of the Jeep takes a tractor with forks, an over head crane with at least 12' of head room or 4-6 people. Taking the spare off and letting air out of the tires helps. Cutting the B pillars off really makes it easier.
    Last edited by maskale; 02-15-2019 at 04:59 AM.

Diggin the progress so far. I wouldnít do it simply because I donít have a reason or the means to myself... but itís nice that youíre documenting everything. Iím really curious to see how this turns out. Youíre the only one with the vision of the end product youíre looking for. Keep at it. 🤙🏽

Cage is ready to be picked up already. . I wasnít expecting it in less than 24hrs. Canít make it to pick up till Monday though.

Quote Originally Posted by -AINOKEA- View Post
    Diggin the progress so far. I wouldnít do it simply because I donít have a reason or the means to myself... but itís nice that youíre documenting everything. Iím really curious to see how this turns out. Youíre the only one with the vision of the end product youíre looking for. Keep at it. 🤙🏽

It is a vision. Sometimes itís one of those thing you just have to do and see for yourself in the end. I can tell ya I have had some ideas that didnít always come out as expected. Spend hours or days on something, then throw it in the scrap pile.

But I really enjoy this kind of fabrication. Making it up as I go, not really sure how I will accomplish each problem till Iím there doing it.

This didnít need to be done at all. I just wanted too.

So when's the kit hitting the aftermarket?

Quote Originally Posted by maskale View Post
    It is a vision. Sometimes itís one of those thing you just have to do and see for yourself in the end. I can tell ya I have had some ideas that didnít always come out as expected. Spend hours or days on something, then throw it in the scrap pile.

But I really enjoy this kind of fabrication. Making it up as I go, not really sure how I will accomplish each problem till Iím there doing it.

This didnít need to be done at all. I just wanted too.

It takes guys like you with a vision and some skills to create anything new.

Without that, the world would be stale and booooooooring.

I'm looking forward to seeing it put together.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast