Adams Drive Shaft

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
I was wondering if someone could help me out. I have been driving cross country and traveling for work and I finally made it to Tucson from Montana. When I hit Flagstaff AZ my driveshaft started to chirp real bad. So, while. I was in the hotel, I pulled the front drive shaft and greased the center ball and cup with a grease needle. Needless to say the chirp was gone, but for the life of me I can not remember if the center ball and cup had a boot or a some kind of race. If so mine is gone. There was no play in the double cardan joint. If there is suppose to be some kind of rubber seal, boot or cap can I just keep putting grease in it and be good for awhile? If I missed spelled anything sorry, trying to type on my phone.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There is a seal on the center ball of the double cardan but you can't really see it from the outside. I assume when you say you greased it with a needle, you mean that there was a zerk there to grease?

wjtstudios

Hooked
Ironically, this just happened to me on Thursday. It sounded like a horde of angry squirrels coming from the TC. Thank goodness it was the front DS centering joint. Depending on which one you have, my 1350 front DS does not have a grease fitting at the centering joint. I called Adams to confirm that I wasn’t missing something. My rear 1350 does have a needle grease fitting buried in all the knuckles. If I get the rear DS rotated at just the right angle, I can access it with out dropping it.

I took my front in yesterday to a local shop and they are replacing mine non grease able centering joint with one that is. All the salt, mud, and miles on the old just won’t hold up with out being greased yearly.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ironically, this just happened to me on Thursday. It sounded like a horde of angry squirrels coming from the TC. Thank goodness it was the front DS centering joint. Depending on which one you have, my 1350 front DS does not have a grease fitting at the centering joint. I called Adams to confirm that I wasn’t missing something. My rear 1350 does have a needle grease fitting buried in all the knuckles. If I get the rear DS rotated at just the right angle, I can access it with out dropping it.

I took my front in yesterday to a local shop and they are replacing mine non grease able centering joint with one that is. All the salt, mud, and miles on the old just won’t hold up with out being greased yearly.

Hope this helps

A good local drive shaft is your friend.

wjtstudios

Hooked

Yeah, especially one that builds shafts for NASCAR and high performance race boats. Pretty cool stuff floating around the shop. It was great cause the owner walked me around the shop and I learned quite a bit in the 30-40 minutes I was in there. Wish I would have know about the a couple years ago. He’ll be doing the shafts on the scrambler next for sure.

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
There is a seal on the center ball of the double cardan but you can't really see it from the outside. I assume when you say you greased it with a needle, you mean that there was a zerk there to grease?

Hi Eddie,

You are correct, greased it through the low profile zerk fitting with a grease gun and needle.

Last edited:

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
I just did not want to buy a new 1310 Front Drive Shaft, because when I put on the new Dynatrac Pro Rock Axles (60 in the rear and 44 in the front) they are set up for 1350 drive shafts. So, I will be buying brand new front and rear ones in a few months. I just want the drive shaft to last that long. As I stated there is no play in the joint at all and rotates just fine. I just drove it about a 100 miles and no vibration or chirps.

jesse3638

Hooked

Yeah, especially one that builds shafts for NASCAR and high performance race boats. Pretty cool stuff floating around the shop. It was great cause the owner walked me around the shop and I learned quite a bit in the 30-40 minutes I was in there. Wish I would have know about the a couple years ago. He’ll be doing the shafts on the scrambler next for sure.

Yes they are. I have one in Hesperia who rebuilt the rear that I grenades the CV in and my chirping 1310 front. Seeing an Ultra 4 car parked in the shop is added piece of mind...[emoji6]. I'm probably going to have him build me a 1350 if I can manage the PR44 in the coming months. He'll replace u-joints for $20+parts. Works out to about $100 or so and saves me the head ache of beating on my drive shaft in the garage...haha

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yes they are. I have one in Hesperia who rebuilt the rear that I grenades the CV in and my chirping 1310 front. Seeing an Ultra 4 car parked in the shop is added piece of mind...[emoji6]. I'm probably going to have him build me a 1350 if I can manage the PR44 in the coming months. He'll replace u-joints for $20+parts. Works out to about $100 or so and saves me the head ache of beating on my drive shaft in the garage...haha

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Not as many ultra 4s in Detroit, but I’d love to see them some day.

Top Bottom