Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Death wobble help

Death wobble help

Been fighting death wobble for a while now and canít seem to find a fix, this is what I have done so far.
    - prosteer ball joints (almost a year old)
    - yeti xd steering with flipped dl (month old)
    - new track bar bushings (week old)
    - new wheel bearings (month old)
    - new uca (almost a year old)
    - had the Jeep aligned by two separate shops both said it was good one of them being after my steering upgrade
    My local 4x4 shop is saying that I may have a bent rim but Iím doubtful that it could be causing full on death wobble. Lca look good no play and would b very surprised if I already worn out my prosteers. Everything is tight and nothing seems loose or worn. I hit a dead end and canít think of anything else that could b causing my wobble. Hoping someone can shed some light on what could be causing this because Iím out of options thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Just so that we're on the same page, you do have full blown violent shaking of the entire Jeep and to the point where you feel like it's gonna tear itself apart and not just a really bad shimmy, right?

What kind of wheels are you running and how much back spacing do they have? While not likely, too little back spacing WILL cause ball joints and unit bearings to wear out quickly.

Death wobble help

O yeah itís full on dw, Iím running pro comp steel rims with 4.25 inches of backspacing

IMG_0292.JPG
    Last edited by Jeeper125; 01-19-2019 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper125 View Post
    O yeah it’s full on dw, I’m running pro comp steel rims with 4.25 inches of backspacing
    Okay, that back spacing isn't ideal but not as bad as it could be. Being that they are steel wheels, it is possible that you do have one that is out of round and that could be contributing to DW starting. As to why it's going all the way, I see you're running and OME lift. Is it safe to assume you're running their shocks as well? I have run them in the past and had one go bad on me. Surprisingly, it was a big part of what was causing me DW.

More than that, you said you replaced your track bar bushings. What track bar are you running? Safe to assume that the bolts were tightened to 125 ft lbs? Do you have a relocation bracket installed at the axle or frame and have you double checked the factory mounts to make sure there weren't any signs of cracking?

Iím running the ome track bar which is the same one that came with the lift and was tightened to 125 ft lbs. frame side mount looked good did not see any cracking, axle side looks good as well. I do not have a relocation bracket but my rock jock came with the multiple holes to mount the track bar, bumped it up a hole to make the track bar and drag link parallel after the flip was installed. I can take a look at the shocks up front Jeep does not drive like there are worn out but could be the other three are masking the one bad one, shocks do have over 30k on them so they have seen some abuse thanks for the quick reply

Not That Kind of Engineer olram30's Avatar
    Doesn't ome use cam bolts?

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yea, I would check the cam bolts

I do not have the cam bolts because I used the adjustable ucas to correct my caster and driveline angle.

Any excessive play in the steering box or bad tie rod ends on your tie rod? It seems like you replaced pretty much everything except those. Have somebody turn the wheel back and forth while you lay under the Jeep and look for any unusual play/slack in the joints. I would also double check for play in the track bar brackets both frame and axle. Maybe even remove the track bar, check if your bolt holes arenít wallowed out, re torque to 125ftlbs. Placing your hand on tie rod and/ or drag link while somebody is moving the wheel might help revel any play in form of a ďskipĒ sensation.

The tie rod and drag link are brand new, had my buddy sit in the car and turn the wheel everything looked tight no play anywhere, what I did notice was that when I pushed the pit man arm up it seemed to have the slightest up and down movement with a little clunking noise when I did that, idk how much play is to much. Steering seems fine on the road not touchy or flighty other than the dw. I also forgot to mention that the dw seems to happen mostly in the 35-45 range and I have yet to get a dw above 50.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast