Hi-lift jack on the hood

jkmadness

Well,every time I plan to do a mod,I research for days and then buy whatever I thought was the best choice ,but lately more often than not something comes up that I overlooked and bites my in the ass (example:the teraflex Hi-Lift bracket for the hinge won't work with my tail light grills)my bad,i should have watched the video.so if anyone would like to chime in ,

I'm contemplating moving it to the hood
1: What's the Best hood mount out there
2:is this a bad idea,yes,no
3:complications,rattles,safety issues

Let's hear it Ladies please :beer:

suicideking

Just think where that thing would go if they broke.

Plus every time you have to open the hood, it's added weight.

On a windy day, I've seen many hoods fly up and hit the windshield. Could be bad with a heavy jack mounted to it.

I currently have mine under my rear seat. I'll eventually get a rear bumper mount for it or as part of a tire carrier.

I've also seen them mounted to the front bumper. Not crazy about that either. Takes away from the look of some nice bumpers.

Have you seen the jeepswag mount? It
mounts on the back rollbar but up out of the way. This may be a bad pic but check out their site.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1363068438.332414.jpg

as much as the hood moves on the fwy or on windy days, I would not personally feel comfortable mounting my hi-lift to it. Do you plan on running an aftermarket rear bumper?

andrew -

jkmadness

as much as the hood moves on the fwy or on windy days, I would not personally feel comfortable mounting my hi-lift to it. Do you plan on running an aftermarket rear bumper?

andrew -

Yes but not with a tire carrier, I'm stuck with the teraflex hinge for now (birthday present)

zip04

I mounted mine to my hood. The mounts were bought on ebay and have a slot that allows you to lock the jack to the mount. The quality of the mount is really good and it came with Grade 8 bolts. I have lifted my hood multiple times (changed fluids, etc.) and have not seen it as an issue at all.

The only issue is the fact that the windshield sprayer now sprays my jack instead of my window (some still gets on the window, but not much). I plan on running this setup until I get a swing out tire carrier that allows the jack to be mounted behind the tire.

I like this one. Think I read it won't work with the Trektop NX. Might get in the way of putting the top down on a soft top too.

Won't work with the NX with the back on but when it's off (but top is on) it should. Ya the soft top mount goes through the mount and roll bar so putting it all the way down you have to remove 3 bolts. You can release the two folds and run it open in front with no issues. I have had it for a few months and love it. If anyone wants/needs more photos let me know.

Skirmish

I mounted mine to my hood. The mounts were bought on ebay and have a slot that allows you to lock the jack to the mount. The quality of the mount is really good and it came with Grade 8 bolts. I have lifted my hood multiple times (changed fluids, etc.) and have not seen it as an issue at all.

The only issue is the fact that the windshield sprayer now sprays my jack instead of my window (some still gets on the window, but not much). I plan on running this setup until I get a swing out tire carrier that allows the jack to be mounted behind the tire.

I have the ACE mount and with the handle away from the windshield the wiper wash clears the jack. To the other responses about added weight to the hood, they mount to the hinge so the weight isn't really felt. It's a solid place to mount it and doesn't really block any view, in fact once I put the cage in the crossbar covers most of it anyway. Most rear mounts are a pain to get the jack off (chuckle) it is easy off, easy on with the hood.

jkmadness

I have the ACE mount and with the handle away from the windshield the wiper wash clears the jack. To the other responses about added weight to the hood, they mount to the hinge so the weight isn't really felt. It's a solid place to mount it and doesn't really block any view, in fact once I put the cage in the crossbar covers most of it anyway. Most rear mounts are a pain to get the jack off (chuckle) it is easy off, easy on with the hood.

I saw those, so the wiper fluid clears the jack.... Any rattles

jkmadness

Is your handle facing the windshield

Skirmish

I wouldn't want to stare at that hunk of rusty metal everyday...all day...just sayin':doh:

You should probably be staring at the road and not your jack (really shouldn't leave it rusty if you plan on actually using it either). Just sayin' :doh:

1BAMFR

You should probably be staring at the road and not your jack (really shouldn't leave it rusty if you plan on actually using it either). Just sayin' :doh:

Hahahaahhaha, that was awesome!

Rust is inevitable on these things!

Top Bottom