Questions about 2013 manual vs automatic

crookone10

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and hopefully im posting this in the right place. My my last jeep was an '07 manual but now I'm in the market for a brand spankin new 2013 Rubi. I know the new engines make a big difference compared to previous versions but I recently drove a 2012 manual and really loved how it felt. Can someone answer whether the automatic is worth the extra loot? I personally love driving manuals but with the hill decent feature and remote start features in the auto do any of you have any recommendations one way or the other? Also, does the manual shift feature in the automatics satisfy to an extent? Thanks ahead for any help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Prime8

I love my auto. I haven't had a manual jeep, but I had manual gti vr6 for a while. Manuals are great when you want to drive, but can be a hassle for daily driving with a phone, cup of coffee, etc... Autos have gotten so good nowadays that the age-old rule of thumb that manuals are faster/more powerful, etc are fading. There are so many things to manage when wheeling that adding a clutch isn't something I want to worry about. Just my two cents... I never even considered getting a manual for this rig. But, it's a big investment and swapping transmissions isn't really a feasible option, so head to your local dealership and test drive an auto. They should have plenty, they are far more common than the manuals on car lots because so many people (my wife included) don't know how to drive stick.

RubiconRon

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and hopefully im posting this in the right place. My my last jeep was an '07 manual but now I'm in the market for a brand spankin new 2013 Rubi. I know the new engines make a big difference compared to previous versions but I recently drove a 2012 manual and really loved how it felt. Can someone answer whether the automatic is worth the extra loot? I personally love driving manuals but with the hill decent feature and remote start features in the auto do any of you have any recommendations one way or the other? Also, does the manual shift feature in the automatics satisfy to an extent? Thanks ahead for any help!

I had an 08 Sahara 2dr "stock" manual and it was fun, my 13 auto 4dr is quicker and much more fun when drinking my morning coffee. But ultimately the choice is yours.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dave_g

I love my manual. I was having trouble finding them, another reason I ordered it from the factory.

FeltsYouUp

When I had my TJ I was one of the guys that frowned upon automatic wranglers. That changed when I was test driving the '12s. After reading more about them, I can see the benefit of an automatic for wheelin and day to day traffic. I like in Tucson, and the stop and go can be annoying. I was impatient when I got my jeep, so I settled on the 6-speed. It took a little time to get used to the drive by wire stuff, compared to my 03 cobra I had before. If I could do it again I probably would have held out for an auto, but I fell in love with the crush orange as soon as I saw it!

SPIELUHR

I have the 2012 auto and I love it. Im also one that doesnt want to deal with a clutch when wheeling. My gf has a 08 Sahara and its manual and she loves that so its really driver pref. Seeing as I work at a jeep dealership I drive A LOT of jeeps new, old, auto, stick I can deal with the newer manual JK's I just prefer the auto they are quite quick. . . just my :twocents:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
We have both a manual and an auto JK and can tell you this. For the rocks, an auto is just so much easier to wheel that Cindy and I call it cheating. I still prefer my manual but only because its what I know best.

dis_dis

Banned
I have a manual and love it. I've gone on a couple of off-roading trips and was truly amazed at what a manual Rubi can do on the trails, this thing is a beast.
The only advantage that I can think of that automatic might have is when you get stuck on a rock it is probably easier to maneuver maybe.
I love the fact that in 4LO I don't even need to touch the gas pedal even in 5th gear, this thing just keeps going :rock:
Also, can't comment on automatic but going downhill in 1st or 2nd gear is such a breeze with manual I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it ...
You can tell I love my JK :)
I also think a manual handles bigger tires better without regearing, I run 35s and I don't feel the need to regear, but then again I have a SC :wings:

BlackKnight

I've loved all my cars with Manual, However, My jeep will be an Auto. as I'm not looking forward to trying to shift gears while crawling etc.

Rivertoys

To each their own, but personally, I would not own an automatic Jeep.... that's just me. I enjoy the driving experience, as much as the destination. I have heard autos are great for rock crawling, and I don't doubt that's true. The only time I've smelled my clutch was on a rock trail.

(I wouldn't own an automatic corvette or camaro either
doh.gif
)

ALRydr

Had a manual '07 JKUR and now a '13 auto JKUR. I think everyone has already said all that can be, but I will simply add that I am not at all disappointed in switching to the auto in my new one. It is so much easier to drive in traffic! I have been offload as much yet, but I can already see that it'll be a little easier when crawling as well. With that said, I do have an '03 Z06 that's a stick, so I can still get the fun of driving in that when I want to. In the end, you'll enjoy either one because it's a Jeep!!

crookone10

I agree with everyone which is basically why posted this in the first place. I'm gonna test drive the auto before I pull the trigger just to see what feels better to me but my other jeep was a Manny and any other one I've driven has been a Manny so thats what feels natural to me when driving a jeep. Also a plus, I don't really live in a super populated area so the pains of stop and go traffic aren't warranted in my case.

JethroJK

I have always drove manuals. This is my first Jeep, 2012 JKUR and it is a manual. I love it because it is what I am use to. Make your choice on what you like. I will say my wife drives a 2013 JKUS and it is auto. I like it but enjoy driving my Jeep because it is a manual.

RubiconRon

We have both a manual and an auto JK and can tell you this. For the rocks, an auto is just so much easier to wheel that Cindy and I call it cheating. I still prefer my manual but only because its what I know best.

One mans definition of cheating is another man's way of life,(to each his own interpretation) even lifted I can drink my coffee while leaving a stop sign, going over a drain rut.
:)
But I am also an old man, and get tired easily. :p

Always looking for a trail!

jkjurny

The remote start feature is really nice. I like being able to start the Jeep from the warmth of my house, then climb into a warm jeep in winter. Only if the heated seats would turn on too!

RubiconRon

The remote start feature is really nice. I like being able to start the Jeep from the warmth of my house, then climb into a warm jeep in winter. Only if the heated seats would turn on too!

I forgot about that. I do have heated seats, (my wife spoils me) but I forget to turn them on when I get out.

RubiconRon

Sorry had a few, didn't read your post right.

jhires

I've had both and like (or hate) both for different reasons.

I do agree that the automatic is much easier for negotiating rocks.
But there is a lot more control with a manual.
There is bump starting and engine braking with a manual.
There are easy hill starts and managing speed with brakes so you never kill your engine with an automatic.

I personally never broke a drive line or axle with an automatic, but did both with a manual.
Then again, I never broke a manual transmission, but did cook an automatic.

I'm still undecided on my next rig.

ksk

When i was younger i loved manuals however i havent regretted the decision to get an auto JK. Its just so much easier in every aspect of driving. JMHO

KSK

Top Bottom