Issues with Warn Powerplant Dualforce | Warn is no help, any ideas?

tylertakesphotos

WARN95.jpg

I've never had an issue with a Warn before, always held up to their reputation for market leading winches and this issue doesn't change my mind at all, however, I'm at a loss here. When I bought my JKU I was happy that it already had this winch on it, a Powerplant Dualforce (I was told it was a 12K, but I'm pretty sure its actually a 9.5) and I was pretty stoked to see that so that I wouldn't have to do all that again coming into this rig from my old one (had an onboard air setup and winch on my Toyota). Warn advertises some pretty impressive specs on the compressor and that it will fill a set of 37s in 10-15 minutes, something like that.

Well, the compressor is for sure having issues. It took close to 15 minutes to fill a single tire from 9psi to 26psi and will not fill my 37s past 26.5 - 27psi at all. On the last trip out I gave up and used RESURECTIONJK's ARB twin which filled them all in minutes. Not good. I checked the filter on the line and even took it off to test, replaced all the fittings on my airline and the compressor, etc... no change.

I have not had a chance to really use the winch itself, but I did make sure to tension the line. It did pull the line, but it didn't feel as strong as it should. Now, if this really is a 9.5K winch that would make sense as I came from a 12K Warn in my old rig. I could be just imagining things as I only tensioned the line on the pavement so far.

So, I called Warn and unfortunately was told that these Powerplant Dualforce winches have been discontinued and they can not service them as they no longer make parts for them. The service rep basically told me that it sounds like the piston seal in the compressor is likely bad and they can't fix that. If the motor on the winch itself is bad, it's most likely from underuse. I agree, as the PO likely actually never winched on it, he did not wheel hard or often at all in this (I knew him personally).

The question I'm getting at here is to see if anyone has any ideas outside buying a very expensive winch and also onboard air setup to get my Warn up and running top again without Warn's help I suppose. I've seen at least Eddie running these on his rigs in videos, maybe someone else around here has run into similar issues with these? I'm pretty bummed about it, this winch & onboard air setup was a great selling point on the rig. I've already invested a lot of money into the rig since buying it getting it to where I want and I'm not looking forward to dropping more big coin on these parts. Any thoughts, ideas, or experience?

Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 9.5 on Moby and it's been more than enough every time I've needed it. If you're handy with tools, I would take the winch apart and see where you might be having an issue. If it's a piston seal, you should be able to find some kind of replacement. If it's the drive belt, I should have an extra that you can have. Either way, it's a winch and not a iPhone and all the components are pretty easy to figure out.

tylertakesphotos

I have a 9.5 on Moby and it's been more than enough every time I've needed it. If you're handy with tools, I would take the winch apart and see where you might be having an issue. If it's a piston seal, you should be able to find some kind of replacement. If it's the drive belt, I should have an extra that you can have. Either way, it's a winch and not a iPhone and all the components are pretty easy to figure out.

You are absolutely correct, I'll pull that sucker off and dive into it. Warn is adamant that parts for the compressor are no longer available, but probably nothing that a Mcmaster account can't help me with :). Thanks a ton for the offer on the drive belt Eddie, I'll let you know if I find an issue with the one on it for sure. Curious, how does this compressor handle filling your 40s? If it does well on yours, mine is having problems for certain. Thanks for your input, it is highly valued.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You are absolutely correct, I'll pull that sucker off and dive into it. Warn is adamant that parts for the compressor are no longer available, but probably nothing that a Mcmaster account can't help me with :). Thanks a ton for the offer on the drive belt Eddie, I'll let you know if I find an issue with the one on it for sure. Curious, how does this compressor handle filling your 40s? If it does well on yours, mine is having problems for certain. Thanks for your input, it is highly valued.

Yeah, sounds like yours is having problems. My PowerPlant airs up my 40s without any issues and at least as fast if not faster than most everyone I wheel with using an ARB or the like.

tylertakesphotos

Yeah, sounds like yours is having problems. My PowerPlant airs up my 40s without any issues and at least as fast if not faster than most everyone I wheel with using an ARB or the like.

Must be nice. :daydream: Haha. Well, that's good to know. I'll start tearing into it and see what I can diagnose and if/how it is fixable. I'll update this thread as I do so.

jorgelrod

Hooked
That sucks, I have a 12K powerplant and it has always been up to par when pulling or filling up my tires. With that said, it really saddens me to hear that Warn is not supporting these or making parts for them anymore. I hope mine lasts a long time, I have no plans to replace it any time soon...

A.J.

Just thinking here. I assume you are getting enough power to the winch and have a battery with enough cranking amps. Even though the engine is running a high cranking amp battery can make a difference especially when winching. Worth checking connections and voltage to the unit as well as cables just to be sure before you have to tear anything apart.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just thinking here. I assume you are getting enough power to the winch and have a battery with enough cranking amps. Even though the engine is running a high cranking amp battery can make a difference especially when winching. Worth checking connections and voltage to the unit as well as cables just to be sure before you have to tear anything apart.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Damn, good call!

tylertakesphotos

This was actually my first thought as well. The vehicle has a Red Top in it and I have had issues with one of those in the past. I did check voltage at the battery and probed the lead to the winch with the compressor running and didn't see any major drop.

The winch portion may very well be just fine, like I said I only used it once so far to tension the rope and it pulled in just fine. I don't know of a good way to verify winch pulling power. 🤷

I did find a site last night that carries replacement parts for these winches, I could even rebuild the compressor entirely if need be on there.

Thanks for the input!

tylertakesphotos

That sucks, I have a 12K powerplant and it has always been up to par when pulling or filling up my tires. With that said, it really saddens me to hear that Warn is not supporting these or making parts for them anymore. I hope mine lasts a long time, I have no plans to replace it any time soon...

Yeah, it was kind of a bummer man. The service rep didn't really want to talk about it. He basicially said "It's discontinued and we don't service or manufacture any replacement parts, we have none. You're best off replacing it."

And he's probably not wrong, but I'm not running excited to replace a very expensive winch either. I did find a parts source, so it should be repairable for now anyway.

https://winchserviceparts.com/power-plant.php

Sucks to hear they’re no longer producing them. I think the contractor went out on mine since it only pulls in line and I have to use the compressor on free spool mode. Hopefully I can order some extra parts.

tylertakesphotos

Sucks to hear they’re no longer producing them. I think the contractor went out on mine since it only pulls in line and I have to use the compressor on free spool mode. Hopefully I can order some extra parts.

Check the link I posted, they still have parts but once they are out Warn will no longer be producing them so that's it. I would order sooner than late now that that's the case.

maskale

I would take apart and look at piston seal and bore. I have seen a lot of piston seals and sleeves on ebay and other places. I doubt what they use is proprietary. Just measure what yours and you may be able to find one.

Also find the manual. Warn may not have the part anymore, but just google the part number and you may find someone that has it.

Top Bottom