VIDEO : JL JOURNAL - How to Install 1350 Drive Shafts on a JL WRANGLER

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Contrary to what some seem to think, the factory driveshafts that come on a Jeep JL Wrangler are in fact, surprisingly strong. The rzeppa joints used are really beefy, the one u-joint that comes on the front driveshaft is a 1330 (bigger than a standard 1310) and although the tube walls are on the thin side, they more than make up for it with their very large cross section. In the past and on a JL Wrangler, I would have recommended that the front driveshaft be replaced after installing a 3" lift or more but thanks to the all new FAD system that the JL Wrangler comes with, there really isn't a need for it. Of course, on a 4-door Unlimited, the rear drive shaft is so long, you really shouldn't have any problems running it even with a set of 37" tires. That is, so long as you aren't running too tall of a lift.

Now, if there is a reason to consider an aftermarket, double cardan u-joint style driveshaft for your JL Wrangler, it'd be because you have a 2-door. Being that the rear driveshaft is so short, a 2.5" lift or more will cause it to sit at a steep enough angle that the CV boots will be in a constant state of pinch. Sooner than later, this pinch will cause the boots to fail prematurely and that'll leave the bearings inside to fry. Also, if you have a 4-door JL Wrangler and are running 3.5" of lift or more, you may want to run a new rear driveshaft as well and mainly because the diameter of the rear factory shaft is so big, it'll rub the side of your gas tank at a full flex. Because aftermarket driveshafts are made with thicker tubes, they can be made a lot narrower diameter and that goes a long way to help out in the clearance department. The same can be said up front as well especially if you're running shocks that allow for big droop. The narrower diameter of an aftermarket driveshaft will do a much better job of clearing things like your skid bar and exhaust cross over.

As you can guess, the last two reasons are why Cindy and I decided to upgrade our JL Wrangler's driveshafts to set of aftermarket, 1350 u-joint style double cardan driveshafts and in this episode of the JL JOURNAL, you'll get to see what it takes to get them installed. As an added bonus, we also included the necessary steps of how to set your rear pinion angle after the install as well. We hope you find our video to be helpful to you and if you have any questions, please let us know.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

What Driveshaft Should You Get?
First off, I would highly recommend that you NOT waste your time with a set of 1310 driveshafts. As mentioned, the one and only u-joint that comes on the front driveshaft is a 1330 and is STRONGER than a 1310. If you're going to make this upgrade, do yourself a favor and spend the extra money on a 1350. Second, I would recommend that you buy a driveshaft based on what u-joints it comes with and NOT necessarily based on brand. I personally prefer to use Neapco u-joints because they have always proven themselves to be strong and because they're made in the U.S.A. A good alternative u-joint would be ones made by Spicer. I would also recommend that you NOT get u-joints that are greasable being that they are hollow and tend to be weaker.

With that said, I personally prefer to have custom shafts made by my local driveline shop. If you play as hard on the rocks as you think you do, a local shop is something you will be using on a regular basis to have your driveshafts re-balanced and/or rebuilt. That being said, I have run JE Reel shafts in the past and would highly recommend them. At the time we made this video, Cindy and I were down in the Vegas area and in a pinch for time so, we decided to buy a set of Adam's Driveshafts and give them a try.

What You Will Need
• Rear Upper Adjustable Control Arms
13, 15, 18, 21, 22mm Sockets & Wrenches
9/16, 5/8" Wrenches
8mm or 5/16" Socket & Wrench (12 Point)
1-1/4" Socket
Torx T-50 Bit
Ratchet
Short & Long Ratchet Extensions
200 Foot Pound Torque Wrench
Fine Inch Pound Torque Wrench (Optional)
Impact Wrench
3-Jaw Gear Puller
Angle Finder
Brass Hammer (Optional)
Brass Punch
• 2 Lb. Hammer
• RTV Gasket Maker
• Red Locktite
• ATF+4
• Gear Oil
• Floor Jack
• Jack Stands
• 1-1/2" Wrench (EVO Jam Nuts) or Large Crescent Wrench

PLEASE NOTE: I have no illusions that there are a ton of people out there with a lot more experience than me. I would never pretend to know more than the next guy or to be some kind of an expert. Like all our videos, this one was made to simply show how I personally like to install my driveshafts and with the hopes that it might be able to help out others. If you disagree with my methods or know how to do it better, I would encourage you to make your own how to video so that I can learn from it.

Great video as always guys. I remember finally toasting my driveshafts last year and upgrading. The Adams weren’t available in stock at the time but when it’s time for 1350’s I’ll be look at them for my JK

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video as always guys. I remember finally toasting my driveshafts last year and upgrading. The Adams weren’t available in stock at the time but when it’s time for 1350’s I’ll be look at them for my JK

No need to get Adams unless you're in the area like we were. I mean, they're decent shafts but I would still recommend getting a shaft at a local shop any day of the week.

Thank you. :)

Like I always say, if you play with your Jeep as much as you say, you really need a local shop to balance and rebuild your shafts and on a regular basis. Might as well start a relationship with them now. :)

I do remember you talking about that when we were all hanging in your room during the kick off run and just how much more convenient and less expensive it was.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Awesome video, Great trick with adding RTV to pinion nuts. Also you made setting the pinion angle look very easy. Thanks [emoji108]

jeeeep

Hooked
good information :thumb:

thanks for placing the links within the item list you used, saves time looking :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I do remember you talking about that when we were all hanging in your room during the kick off run and just how much more convenient and less expensive it was.

My local shop charges a LOT less and typically has 1 day turn arounds. I would have used them again but was in a bind for time with SEMA and the JLX around the corner. Don't get me wrong, they make a nice shaft and they were nice to work with but I'd rather give good advice than plug a company that I just happened to buy something from.

Awesome video, Great trick with adding RTV to pinion nuts. Also you made setting the pinion angle look very easy. Thanks [emoji108]

Well, I'm glad I was able to share something with you that might help out in the future :)

Great write up. Getting ready to pull the trigger on driveshafts for my JL and this convinced me to go with a local shop over Adams.

Again, if you have a shop local to you, I would give them a look first. If not, Adam's definitely makes a decent shaft.

jeeeep

Hooked

Check out Slyco Drivelines on 14th So and 4th West

They do good work and are very reasonable.

Top Bottom