Help with pinion angle before I weld......

jimjulie1

Hello...... how does this pinion angle look? Want a few opinions before I weld the spring perches to the 8.8 swap.....

Attachments

• 8EFAB6E1-3DDE-4993-968F-97ADCE911C1D.jpg
    8EFAB6E1-3DDE-4993-968F-97ADCE911C1D.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 90
I've used a cheap laser pointer facing down the DS and a grade school protractor at the flange with great success.
But eyeballing it will work, just not as accurate! Lol

trplxj

If I remember correctly. With leaf springs you’re going to want the pinion to point down a few degrees. Under load the axle will twist upward and put the pinion inline with the driveshaft.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Welcome to WAYALIFE. As mentioned above under load the axle does rotate upwards and depending on you’re setup, it can rotate quite a bit. When I did the SOA conversion on my FJ60 I intentionally had the pinion 2degrees below the driveshaft angle for this exact reason. I also ran a custom rear anti-wrap bar to limit axle wrap. That is something you will likely want to look at as well if you haven’t already.

jimjulie1

Thanks everyone.... I actually just watched Eddie’s video soon after I posted this question.... Eddie’s explanation of pinion angle adjustment was the easiest I’ve seen yet! Thanks everyone for taking time to reply..............

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom