Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.5” back spacing for 35x12.5 too little?

Been Around the Block danford.lau's Avatar

3.5” back spacing for 35x12.5 too little?

I’m currently running Cooper STTs with 4” bs (5.2 + 1.25” spacers)

Will 3.5” bs on 35s be too little ? Stick out too far ? Any concerns about stress on components?

Please post up photos if you have them . Want examples of 35s and 37s (12.5 width) . I’m eventually going to 37s and want to buy wheels once but want them to work for my 35s without looking goofy

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by danford.lau View Post
    I’m currently running Cooper STTs with 4” bs (5.2 + 1.25” spacers)

Will 3.5” bs on 35s be too little ? Stick out too far ? Any concerns about stress on components?

Please post up photos if you have them . Want examples of 35s and 37s (12.5 width) . I’m eventually going to 37s and want to buy wheels once but want them to work for my 35s without looking goofy

Thanks

How much lift?

3.5” for 35’s is a little much but perfect for 37’s. It won’t look goofy, just not ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by SLO View Post
    How much lift?

3.5” for 35’s is a little much but perfect for 37’s. It won’t look goofy, just not ideal.
    3” enforcer with 0.5” spacers . The other beadlocks seem to have 4.75 bs which seems to be too much . Lol I seem to want 4” . Order is getting confirmed tomorrow so want to make sure I get this right

I'll be doing the same... 35's on ATX slabs.... SST's 315's run a hair small so I'm going with Trail Grapplers... I think it looks cool from what I've seen. You are only talking about a 1/2" difference.

I'm running 3" backspacing with my 37s. 4.5" on the wheels with 1.5"spacers.
    20190105_113545.jpg
    Sorry, couldn't find a current front view but I think there's one in my build thread when I installed the 37s.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

I’m running the atx chamber pros (4” bs) with 37/12.5 coopers and have no issues with turning or flexing. If you wanna stay at 4” then you will be fine for the future.

At 3.5” you will end up wearing out hub bearings a little quicker due the extra leverage you have with the wider stance.

IMG_8370.jpg
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JK
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assis

jlwrangler.com

Quote Originally Posted by TrailHunter View Post
    I'll be doing the same... 35's on ATX slabs.... SST's 315's run a hair small so I'm going with Trail Grapplers... I think it looks cool from what I've seen. You are only talking about a 1/2" difference.
    Sweet good to know I’m not only one planning to run 35s on beadlocks for a while

Quote Originally Posted by BaddestCross View Post
    I'm running 3" backspacing with my 37s. 4.5" on the wheels with 1.5"spacers.
    20190105_113545.jpg
    Sorry, couldn't find a current front view but I think there's one in my build thread when I installed the 37s.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Wow even wider. Difference isn’t that noticeable to the eye

Quote Originally Posted by cozdude View Post
    I’m running the atx chamber pros (4” bs) with 37/12.5 coopers and have no issues with turning or flexing. If you wanna stay at 4” then you will be fine for the future.

At 3.5” you will end up wearing out hub bearings a little quicker due the extra leverage you have with the wider stance.

IMG_8370.jpg
    I’d run 4” bs but all the beadlocks im finding, esp with deals, are at 3.5”.

3.5” back spacing for 35x12.5 too little?

Stock backspacing is 6.25”. Anything less puts additional stress on components, primarily unit bearings and ball joints, particularly when combined with oversized tires. Plenty of people run 4” (eg Chamber Pro IIs) or even 3.5” (eg Slabs). You’ll be replacing things more often because they will wear out faster. Just comes with the territory.

Here’s mine on 37s (Toyo 37x12.50) and Chamber Pro IIs.
    IMG_0252.jpg

Last edited by fiend; 01-24-2019 at 02:33 PM.

What cozdude and fiend said. You just need to be aware of the fact that you’ll be wearing out your ball joints and unit bearings faster. It is for this reason that I’ve started getting wheels with as MUCH back spacing as I can get away with now.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    What cozdude and fiend said. You just need to be aware of the fact that you’ll be wearing out your ball joints and unit bearings faster. It is for this reason that I’ve started getting wheels with as MUCH back spacing as I can get away with now.

So whats the Most you can get away with on a JK with 3-4” of lift , 37’s and a 17x9” wheel? .... 4”?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast