3.5” back spacing for 35x12.5 too little?

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
I’m currently running Cooper STTs with 4” bs (5.2 + 1.25” spacers)

Will 3.5” bs on 35s be too little ? Stick out too far ? Any concerns about stress on components?

Please post up photos if you have them . Want examples of 35s and 37s (12.5 width) . I’m eventually going to 37s and want to buy wheels once but want them to work for my 35s without looking goofy

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SLO

I’m currently running Cooper STTs with 4” bs (5.2 + 1.25” spacers)

Will 3.5” bs on 35s be too little ? Stick out too far ? Any concerns about stress on components?

Please post up photos if you have them . Want examples of 35s and 37s (12.5 width) . I’m eventually going to 37s and want to buy wheels once but want them to work for my 35s without looking goofy

Thanks

How much lift?

3.5” for 35’s is a little much but perfect for 37’s. It won’t look goofy, just not ideal.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
How much lift?

3.5” for 35’s is a little much but perfect for 37’s. It won’t look goofy, just not ideal.

3” enforcer with 0.5” spacers . The other beadlocks seem to have 4.75 bs which seems to be too much . Lol I seem to want 4” . Order is getting confirmed tomorrow so want to make sure I get this right

TrailHunter

Hooked
I'll be doing the same... 35's on ATX slabs.... SST's 315's run a hair small so I'm going with Trail Grapplers... I think it looks cool from what I've seen. You are only talking about a 1/2" difference.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I’m running the atx chamber pros (4” bs) with 37/12.5 coopers and have no issues with turning or flexing. If you wanna stay at 4” then you will be fine for the future.

At 3.5” you will end up wearing out hub bearings a little quicker due the extra leverage you have with the wider stance.

IMG_8370.jpg

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
I'll be doing the same... 35's on ATX slabs.... SST's 315's run a hair small so I'm going with Trail Grapplers... I think it looks cool from what I've seen. You are only talking about a 1/2" difference.

Sweet good to know I’m not only one planning to run 35s on beadlocks for a while

I'm running 3" backspacing with my 37s. 4.5" on the wheels with 1.5"spacers.
View attachment 319512
Sorry, couldn't find a current front view but I think there's one in my build thread when I installed the 37s.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Wow even wider. Difference isn’t that noticeable to the eye

I’m running the atx chamber pros (4” bs) with 37/12.5 coopers and have no issues with turning or flexing. If you wanna stay at 4” then you will be fine for the future.

At 3.5” you will end up wearing out hub bearings a little quicker due the extra leverage you have with the wider stance.

View attachment 319524

I’d run 4” bs but all the beadlocks im finding, esp with deals, are at 3.5”.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Stock backspacing is 6.25”. Anything less puts additional stress on components, primarily unit bearings and ball joints, particularly when combined with oversized tires. Plenty of people run 4” (eg Chamber Pro IIs) or even 3.5” (eg Slabs). You’ll be replacing things more often because they will wear out faster. Just comes with the territory.

Here’s mine on 37s (Toyo 37x12.50) and Chamber Pro IIs.
IMG_0252.jpg

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What cozdude and fiend said. You just need to be aware of the fact that you’ll be wearing out your ball joints and unit bearings faster. It is for this reason that I’ve started getting wheels with as MUCH back spacing as I can get away with now.

TrailHunter

Hooked
What cozdude and fiend said. You just need to be aware of the fact that you’ll be wearing out your ball joints and unit bearings faster. It is for this reason that I’ve started getting wheels with as MUCH back spacing as I can get away with now.

So whats the Most you can get away with on a JK with 3-4” of lift , 37’s and a 17x9” wheel? .... 4”?

boardsurfer

3" lift, 37/13.50 Coopers, 3.5" BS Machetes.

IMG_20180303_154034.jpg

IMG_20180618_121407.jpg

IMG_20180704_171652.jpg

Exact same setup with 315/70/17 (35s) Coopers.

IMG_20170813_185841_05.jpg

IMG_20170916_173130.jpg

IMG_20171007_133843.jpg

Balljoints and unit bearings will die an early death. 15-20k miles at best if you're hitting a lot of trails - that was my experience.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So whats the Most you can get away with on a JK with 3-4” of lift , 37’s and a 17x9” wheel? .... 4”?

On a JK? Depends if it’s a 12.50 or a 13.50. With a 13.50, I’d say 4” like what you’d get on a Chamber Pro II and even with that, you’ll still have some minor rubbing.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys super helpful . Doesn’t seem like it’s easy to find a 4” back spaced beadlock .. lot at 3.5” and 4.75” . Are lots of folks running spacers with the 4.75 to get back down to 4 or 3.75?

This is my daily at about 15k per year so yearly ball joints and unit bearing replacements seems brutal

critter812

Thanks guys super helpful . Doesn’t seem like it’s easy to find a 4” back spaced beadlock .. lot at 3.5” and 4.75” . Are lots of folks running spacers with the 4.75 to get back down to 4 or 3.75?

This is my daily at about 15k per year so yearly ball joints and unit bearing replacements seems brutal

I have had great luck i have put 25k on mine in the last year with 3.5" slabs with 35's and no issues with my ball joints or unit bearings yet.

jeep.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I really see no point in running spacers if you’re buying new wheels. Even with 4” of back spacing, your ball joints and unit bearings will still see more wear than stock. In other words, I would give it too much weight in making your decision. 3.5” is without question the most common back spacing out there and you’ll have a lot more options with it.

If most of your driving is on the highway, your joints and bearings will last for a while. Hard and fast driving across the desert is what’ll really get them to wear out sooner than later.

If you’ve got the $$$$ You could probably get trail ready to build you what you’re wanting. I think you can pretty much get anything you want from them.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
I really see no point in running spacers if you’re buying new wheels. Even with 4” of back spacing, your ball joints and unit bearings will still see more wear than stock. In other words, I would give it too much weight in making your decision. 3.5” is without question the most common back spacing out there and you’ll have a lot more options with it.

If most of your driving is on the highway, your joints and bearings will last for a while. Hard and fast driving across the desert is what’ll really get them to wear out sooner than later.

[emoji108]thanks . Diving in head first then . Beadlock ordered, regear and revolution shafts going in this weekend . Now just need time to get out to desert more

Top Bottom