EVO Coilover Setups

SLO

For those of you with 40’s and bolt-on coilovers, how are you setting them up as far as height? I currently have a 3.5” spring/shock setup and want to go bolt-on coilovers. I am wondering if there is an ideal balance between low center of gravity and max travel/articulation, specifically with 40’s.

Also, how do you measure “lift over stock height” when you go from one arbitrary lift height to another? My Jeep hasn’t been “stock” for a long time so I have no reference point. I don’t care about the numbers, just interested in a reference point based on what others have found to be good. Do you count threads on the shock body or measure down to the adjuster from the top of the shock?

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
You can measure you coilover ride height the same way you measure your spring/shock set up
IMG_9994.jpg

I don’t run 40’s but I have my coilovers on my 2 door set up as low as possible. I have about 3.75” of lift with 37’s. I have plenty of room in my fenders and could prob run 40’s at the same lift height.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Like Cozdude said you can measure it with the diagram above, it’s not until you go with a DTD setup that it gets confusing. I run about 3.5” of lift maybe a little more with the setup your asking about with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

PEACEMAKER1

Sorry, I meant that in relation to the image and stock measurement numbers above, would that still be the same reference number to go off of if you are instead running different axles (XD60s for example)? I didn't know if the shock brackets on the Dynatrac would be in the same reference location compared to stock axles. Plus, when running the coilovers, the top bracket is also different and likely changes the measurement to the top of the shock mount. So I was thinking that with different axles and the coilovers, then it wouldn't be as straight forward as measuring the new distance between bottom and top of shock mount and looking at the difference from stock...if that makes any sense.

Ajkaz

Sorry, I meant that in relation to the image and stock measurement numbers above, would that still be the same reference number to go off of if you are instead running different axles (XD60s for example)? I didn't know if the shock brackets on the Dynatrac would be in the same reference location compared to stock axles. Plus, when running the coilovers, the top bracket is also different and likely changes the measurement to the top of the shock mount. So I was thinking that with different axles and the coilovers, then it wouldn't be as straight forward as measuring the new distance between bottom and top of shock mount and looking at the difference from stock...if that makes any sense.

In this scenario the measurement from the shock mounts, upper and lower would still give an actual lift height. My PR44 has the shock mounts at the same height as stock, just out boarded. Call Dynatrac and ask them for the shock mount location in relation to stock vs the XD60, it should be on a similar plane if it was meant for a JK.

Even with bolt on C/O's this measurement should still work. The upper mounting point for the shock will still move up and down as you adjust the lift height. Doesn't matter what the shock or CO is mounted to, your just looking for a change in distance between 2 points.

SLO

Like Cozdude said you can measure it with the diagram above, it’s not until you go with a DTD setup that it gets confusing. I run about 3.5” of lift maybe a little more with the setup your asking about with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks. I was wondering if I would have to go higher than 3.5” with 40’s. I’m guessing it just comes down to trimming and bump stop height. I have high clearance, removable fenders so I’d like to run as little bump stop as possible.

sjstar

Sorry not on 40s but for me rear suspension up travel dictated the entire setup for me. I ended up with about 5" of up travel before bottom out which i wanted for the desert. With that set i gave the jeep a little forward lean so when it was packed it sat level. I am guessing its at about 4.5" of lift. Its not too tall and works well for me. I have talked to a number of suspension people and they all said that rear up travel number should be around 4.5" at least. Just what i have figured out.

Top Bottom