Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Questions about tow bars?

  1. #1
    Knows a Thing or Two MericaMade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    SoCaL
    Posts
    755

    Questions about tow bars?

    We are planning a trip to MOAB and its about a 10 1/2 hour drive for me, so I would prefer to tow the jeep behind my GMC Diesel. For those of you that do this can you point me in the right directions as to what is a good tow bar that will with work on the back of a truck and motor home? Also, do I need to purchase any extras parts for my GenRight front bumper with d-rings?

  2. #2
    Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    1,285
    Why not trailer? If you're towing it there in case you break something, trailer would be the safer bet vs flat towing. Or do you just not wanna drive it 10 hours?

  3. #3
    Knows a Thing or Two MericaMade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    SoCaL
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by Snboarder113 View Post
    Why not trailer? If you're towing it there in case you break something, trailer would be the safer bet vs flat towing. Or do you just not wanna drive it 10 hours?
    Trailer tow is not off the table to MOAB but I am currently trying to sell my 5th wheel trailer and get a RV so a tow bar would work for both applications I think,

  4. #4
    Been Around the Block jkbarnett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bishop Ca
    Posts
    439
    I’ve flat towed my JKR with a Blue Ox Alpha tow bar. No problems with it. Recently bought a used tandem axle car trailer for my jeep. I put over 25k miles flat towing. It was great when staying at RV parks while traveling across the USA. A lot of extra space was would be needed for the tow vehicle, trailer and Jeep. Now I’m looking at boondocking across the Southwest and parking a car trailer isn’t a problem. Hope that helps.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  5. #5
    Knows a Thing or Two MericaMade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    SoCaL
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by jkbarnett View Post
    I’ve flat towed my JKR with a Blue Ox Alpha tow bar. No problems with it. Recently bought a used tandem axle car trailer for my jeep. I put over 25k miles flat towing. It was great when staying at RV parks while traveling across the USA. A lot of extra space was would be needed for the tow vehicle, trailer and Jeep. Now I’m looking at boondocking across the Southwest and parking a car trailer isn’t a problem. Hope that helps.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    I did not think these tow bars would be more than a few hundred bucks. I have seen some of them for over a grand.

  6. #6
    Addict wjtstudios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Rochester, MI.
    Posts
    5,014
    Another vote for blue ox. I have one set up on my scrambler and love it. A JK is a different level of weight. Unless you add a brake controller to help with the weight which adds a bunch of cost, I’d get a small trailer. The other advantage of a trailer verses flat towing is backing up, You can’t flat towing.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

  7. #7
    Knows a Thing or Two MericaMade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    SoCaL
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by wjtstudios View Post
    Another vote for blue ox. I have one set up on my scrambler and love it. A JK is a different level of weight. Unless you add a brake controller to help with the weight which adds a bunch of cost, I’d get a small trailer. The other advantage of a trailer verses flat towing is backing up, You can’t flat towing.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Ok that makes sense and I mind as well just use the money toward a flat trailer since that is the end goal anyways. Thanks for the help guys you helped me save and spend more at the same time LOL.

  8. #8
    Addict wjtstudios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Rochester, MI.
    Posts
    5,014
    Quote Originally Posted by MericaMade View Post
    Ok that makes sense and I mind as well just use the money toward a flat trailer since that is the end goal anyways. Thanks for the help guys you helped me save and spend more at the same time LOL.
    No worries! Good luck


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Similar Threads

  1. Harness Bars
    By aTX427 in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-01-2017, 09:43 PM
  2. Track bars
    By Highpockets in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-15-2015, 05:06 PM
  3. Best LED bars and lights?
    By Commandojk13 in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 10-10-2015, 01:29 PM
  4. Track bars
    By ldjernes in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-27-2015, 02:04 AM
  5. Step Bars
    By tsweeten in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-08-2014, 04:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS