Questions about tow bars?

MericaMade

We are planning a trip to MOAB and its about a 10 1/2 hour drive for me, so I would prefer to tow the jeep behind my GMC Diesel. For those of you that do this can you point me in the right directions as to what is a good tow bar that will with work on the back of a truck and motor home? Also, do I need to purchase any extras parts for my GenRight front bumper with d-rings?

Why not trailer? If you're towing it there in case you break something, trailer would be the safer bet vs flat towing. Or do you just not wanna drive it 10 hours?

MericaMade

Why not trailer? If you're towing it there in case you break something, trailer would be the safer bet vs flat towing. Or do you just not wanna drive it 10 hours?

Trailer tow is not off the table to MOAB but I am currently trying to sell my 5th wheel trailer and get a RV so a tow bar would work for both applications I think,

jkbarnett

I’ve flat towed my JKR with a Blue Ox Alpha tow bar. No problems with it. Recently bought a used tandem axle car trailer for my jeep. I put over 25k miles flat towing. It was great when staying at RV parks while traveling across the USA. A lot of extra space was would be needed for the tow vehicle, trailer and Jeep. Now I’m looking at boondocking across the Southwest and parking a car trailer isn’t a problem. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MericaMade

I’ve flat towed my JKR with a Blue Ox Alpha tow bar. No problems with it. Recently bought a used tandem axle car trailer for my jeep. I put over 25k miles flat towing. It was great when staying at RV parks while traveling across the USA. A lot of extra space was would be needed for the tow vehicle, trailer and Jeep. Now I’m looking at boondocking across the Southwest and parking a car trailer isn’t a problem. Hope that helps.

I did not think these tow bars would be more than a few hundred bucks. I have seen some of them for over a grand. :eek:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Another vote for blue ox. I have one set up on my scrambler and love it. A JK is a different level of weight. Unless you add a brake controller to help with the weight which adds a bunch of cost, I’d get a small trailer. The other advantage of a trailer verses flat towing is backing up, You can’t flat towing.

MericaMade

Another vote for blue ox. I have one set up on my scrambler and love it. A JK is a different level of weight. Unless you add a brake controller to help with the weight which adds a bunch of cost, I’d get a small trailer. The other advantage of a trailer verses flat towing is backing up, You can’t flat towing.

Ok that makes sense and I mind as well just use the money toward a flat trailer since that is the end goal anyways. Thanks for the help guys you helped me save and spend more at the same time LOL.

Top Bottom