Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VIDEO : JL JOURNAL - Protect Your JL Front Axle Drain Bolt with a Rancho Glide Plate

VIDEO : JL JOURNAL - Protect Your JL Front Axle Drain Bolt with a Rancho Glide Plate

I don't know who the boy genius was that thought it would be a good idea to locate the front axle drain bolt on a Jeep JL Wrangler, directly underneath it but in my opinion, this is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Sure, I get that it would help to make servicing the axle a lot easier but being that this is on a Jeep, a vehicle designed to go off road and play on big rocks, it really makes no sense at all. Certainly, it isn't where they put it on the previous JK Wrangler and it isn't even where they put it on the rear axle of a JL Wrangler - on the side and out of harms way. Of course, it should be of no surprise that after a year of playing hard on trails like the Rubicon, the drain bolt on our JL Wrangler front axle finally got hit enough to damage the threads and cause it to leak. Needless to say, this is something I wanted to protect and did so with a Rancho JL Wrangler Front Axle Glide Plate. While I'm not exactly thrilled about the bright red color it comes in (something I intend to fix with some black paint), the Rancho Front Axle Glide Plate is designed to take on big hits, has a port on the bottom for easy servicing and the best part of it is, it only costs about $150. In this episode of the JL JOURNAL, you'll get to see just how super simple it is to install, using basic tools and in just minutes.

BUY a RANCHO Glide Plate
    DANA M210 RUBICON FRONT AXLE: https://amzn.to/2T4gl7f
    DANA M186 SPORT / SAHARA FRONT AXLE: https://amzn.to/2CC5N8u

Tools You Will Need
    • 13mm Socket & Wrench
    • 10mm Socket
    • Ratchet

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
    If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

Holy cow. I can’t believe you have had your JL for a year already.

Quote Originally Posted by nbunga View Post
    Holy cow. I can’t believe you have had your JL for a year already.
    LOL - it really is crazy isn't it! What's even harder to believe is that we've now had Moby for 12 years

When the plate gets hit, is all the pressure (at the front) transferred to those bolts? Or is it touching the housing like in the rear?

Quote Originally Posted by TrailHunter View Post
    When the plate gets hit, is all the pressure (at the front) transferred to those bolts? Or is it touching the housing like in the rear?
    My plate is making contact with the base of the differential. Like I say in the video, the ground clearance you loose is the thickness of the glide plate.

I am so glad no cameras were harmed
    Did you put enough trail time to say the plait is really functional ?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Andy5160 View Post
    I am so glad no cameras were harmed
    Did you put enough trail time to say the plait is really functional ?
    LOL - glad you found that to be amusing.

Regarding the glide plate, we ran the JLX in it as well as other trails since and yes, I'd say it's doing it's job extremely well.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    My plate is making contact with the base of the differential. Like I say in the video, the ground clearance you loose is the thickness of the glide plate.
    Yup, you did say that, Duh... Cool.. Easy fix.

Nothing but a Thing RESURECTIONJK's Avatar
    Poor Cindy. Occupational hazard I suppose. I think that is a ridiculous place for a drain plug to be. Potentially leading to a complete failure of the differential. Tons of value in this video and the glide plate. I’d say $150 well invested.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailHunter View Post
    Yup, you did say that, Duh... Cool.. Easy fix.
    LOL - it's all good. Silly that they got it right on the JK and then blew it on the JL

Quote Originally Posted by RESURECTIONJK View Post
    Poor Cindy. Occupational hazard I suppose. I think that is a ridiculous place for a drain plug to be. Potentially leading to a complete failure of the differential. Tons of value in this video and the glide plate. I’d say $150 well invested.
    Fortunately, she's pretty tough

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast