VIDEO : JL JOURNAL - Protect Your JL Front Axle Drain Bolt with a Rancho Glide Plate

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know who the boy genius was that thought it would be a good idea to locate the front axle drain bolt on a Jeep JL Wrangler, directly underneath it but in my opinion, this is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Sure, I get that it would help to make servicing the axle a lot easier but being that this is on a Jeep, a vehicle designed to go off road and play on big rocks, it really makes no sense at all. Certainly, it isn't where they put it on the previous JK Wrangler and it isn't even where they put it on the rear axle of a JL Wrangler - on the side and out of harms way. Of course, it should be of no surprise that after a year of playing hard on trails like the Rubicon, the drain bolt on our JL Wrangler front axle finally got hit enough to damage the threads and cause it to leak. Needless to say, this is something I wanted to protect and did so with a Rancho JL Wrangler Front Axle Glide Plate. While I'm not exactly thrilled about the bright red color it comes in (something I intend to fix with some black paint), the Rancho Front Axle Glide Plate is designed to take on big hits, has a port on the bottom for easy servicing and the best part of it is, it only costs about $150. In this episode of the JL JOURNAL, you'll get to see just how super simple it is to install, using basic tools and in just minutes.

BUY a RANCHO Glide Plate
DANA M210 RUBICON FRONT AXLE: https://amzn.to/2T4gl7f
DANA M186 SPORT / SAHARA FRONT AXLE: https://amzn.to/2CC5N8u

Tools You Will Need
• 13mm Socket & Wrench
• 10mm Socket
• Ratchet

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

:cool:

TrailHunter

Hooked
When the plate gets hit, is all the pressure (at the front) transferred to those bolts? Or is it touching the housing like in the rear?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When the plate gets hit, is all the pressure (at the front) transferred to those bolts? Or is it touching the housing like in the rear?

My plate is making contact with the base of the differential. Like I say in the video, the ground clearance you loose is the thickness of the glide plate.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am so glad no cameras were harmed[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Did you put enough trail time to say the plait is really functional ?

LOL - glad you found that to be amusing. :D

Regarding the glide plate, we ran the JLX in it as well as other trails since and yes, I'd say it's doing it's job extremely well. :yup:

Poor Cindy. Occupational hazard I suppose. I think that is a ridiculous place for a drain plug to be. Potentially leading to a complete failure of the differential. Tons of value in this video and the glide plate. I’d say $150 well invested.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, you did say that, Duh... Cool.. Easy fix. [emoji1417]

LOL - it's all good. Silly that they got it right on the JK and then blew it on the JL :rolleyes2:

Poor Cindy. Occupational hazard I suppose. I think that is a ridiculous place for a drain plug to be. Potentially leading to a complete failure of the differential. Tons of value in this video and the glide plate. I’d say $150 well invested.

Fortunately, she's pretty tough :D

JAGS

Hooked
I think I’ll start here and VERY slowly make my way up to the driveline install. Lol.

Great vid. Not sure how osha feels about the site safety. Lol.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
I started the video, said "What?"
Watched it again.
And said to myself, "Hope Cindy is OK!!!!"
Great video and #RanchoRed4life :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
easy peasy..minus the ratchet juggling

Cindy needs hazard pay - or a hardhat :cheesy:

LOL!! Fortunately, she was quick enough to avoid a direct hit to the face :crazyeyes:

Good video Cindy and Eddie. It’s always nice when a simple part like this makes life a lot easier.

Yup, even nicer when the part in question costs so little :yup:

Poor Cindy.

Always putting herself in harms way for the art of the craft :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think I’ll start here and VERY slowly make my way up to the driveline install. Lol.

Great vid. Not sure how osha feels about the site safety. Lol.

:cheesy: :cheesy: Too funny.

Such a dumb design from factory to put it there, glad to see the plate works well tho

It really is so stupid. I mean, when the JK came out, I thought the inclusion of drain plugs was brilliant and well thought out. Hell, the rear axle is still that way. What would have convinced Dana to put the drain plug on the very bottom of the front axle is just beyond me.

I started the video, said "What?"
Watched it again.
And said to myself, "Hope Cindy is OK!!!!"
Great video and #RanchoRed4life :)

:cheesy: Fortunately, she's okay and thanks again for making such a great solution to a stupid problem. I fully expect you guys should be selling a ton of these :yup:

stragler

stragler

I don't know who the boy genius was that thought it would be a good idea to locate the front axle drain bolt on a Jeep JL Wrangler, directly underneath it but in my opinion, this is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Sure, I get that it would help to make servicing the axle a lot easier but being that this is on a Jeep, a vehicle designed to go off road and play on big rocks, it really makes no sense at all. Certainly, it isn't where they put it on the previous JK Wrangler and it isn't even where they put it on the rear axle of a JL Wrangler - on the side and out of harms way. Of course, it should be of no surprise that after a year of playing hard on trails like the Rubicon, the drain bolt on our JL Wrangler front axle finally got hit enough to damage the threads and cause it to leak. Needless to say, this is something I wanted to protect and did so with a Rancho JL Wrangler Front Axle Glide Plate. While I'm not exactly thrilled about the bright red color it comes in (something I intend to fix with some black paint), the Rancho Front Axle Glide Plate is designed to take on big hits, has a port on the bottom for easy servicing and the best part of it is, it only costs about $150. In this episode of the JL JOURNAL, you'll get to see just how super simple it is to install, using basic tools and in just minutes.

BUY a RANCHO Glide Plate
DANA M210 RUBICON FRONT AXLE: https://amzn.to/2T4gl7f
DANA M186 SPORT / SAHARA FRONT AXLE: https://amzn.to/2CC5N8u

Tools You Will Need
• 13mm Socket & Wrench
• 10mm Socket
• Ratchet

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

:cool:
Thanks for sharing this slider video it really helps to know whats available to solve certain problems.

Top Bottom