Bought my first YJ!

I need some ideas!

So I ended up purchasing a 1995 YJ from my friend who gave it to me for an amazing deal. It’s my first YJ. Other than a little TLC it’s a solid Jeep. I need some ideas for it! It’s a 2.5 5spd.

IMG_5600.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I need some ideas!

So I ended up purchasing a 1995 YJ from my friend who gave it to me for an amazing deal. It’s my first YJ. Other than a little TLC it’s a solid Jeep. I need some ideas for it! It’s a 2.5 5spd.

Awesome Jeep. You should do a V8, Dynatrac 60s, and a coil spring conversion.

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
Sell it and buy something with round headlights. Lol.

I say small block, axles, atlas and 35’s.

John82601

Mine also has the 4-cylinder. If you're going to keep it, gearing is your friend! Keep the engine in a good state of tune but don't throw ANY money at performance parts. The only part you WILL have to watch out for is the rear axle. D35's have a flexy housing that eats up R&P's and blows the c-clip axle shafts if you put bigger tires on it. Look into the Ford Explorer 8.8 swap. Equivalent strength to a D44, 31 spline axles, factory disk brakes and it's practically a bolt-in. That plus your HP D30 front axle will run a 35" (37's if you're mostly in the mud) tire if you don't beat on it too hard, lol. Anything bigger than that, go straight to a set of one-ton axles.

If you want modern power, there are LOTS of engine swap possibilities. Let your desire and budget be your guide ;) As you add armor to your Jeep, the weight will run up quicker than you realize and there won't be enough gearing in the world to keep the 4-cyl happy. Especially if you want to be able to run at highway speeds.

Lift wise, there are plenty of bolt-on kits that can work pretty decently. I'm running an old-school Trail Master lift that we tuned by adding/removing leafs. It came with 5 leafs per pack and I'm down to 3fr/4rr. Ride and articulation is greatly improved. If you step up to ton's, ditch the leaf springs and install a good link setup with coilovers.

For tire clearance, install a set of factory TJ flares. It's a common mod that will give you quite a bit larger wheel opening. Here's a comparison pic:

YJ flares vs TJ flares.jpg

Here's ours. 1995, 2.5/auto, 4.88's, Spartan locker in ft axle, 4" TM lift (softened to about 3"), 1.25" body lift, TJ flares, 35's on 15x10's. Nothing fancy but it's served us well for a lot of years.

Having fun on the Kane Kreek Trail.

40632916_10156646804856703_6543791719551336448_n.jpg

40644813_10156646800891703_788252225393655808_n.jpg

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Congrats. My old YJ had the same wheels in circa 2000... I’d normally say start with TJ flares and a sawzaw but apparently flares aren’t essential in your state.

bmkrinne

Congrats on the YJ. I also used to have a 95 5 speed 4 banger. Sold it in 2001 I think. Man, we had some good times in that Jeep!

It would top out at about 65 mph on flat roads... damned 4 cylinder just wasn’t enough on the road but got the job done off it!!!!

Enjoy!!!

Gbint

Love the YJ. The silhouette very closely resembles the cj2. I owned one for about a month when someone made me an offer too good to turn down. Your combo will make a great project.

Top Bottom