Thread: Bought my first YJ!

Knows a Thing or Two Thegreenmachine12's Avatar

Bought my first YJ!

I need some ideas!

So I ended up purchasing a 1995 YJ from my friend who gave it to me for an amazing deal. Itís my first YJ. Other than a little TLC itís a solid Jeep. I need some ideas for it! Itís a 2.5 5spd.

IMG_5600.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    2012 Gecko JKU
    Dynatrac PR80 rear & PR60 front, 6.2L LS3 430HP swap, 6" Teraflex longarm, ATX Slabs, 37" Goodyears

It's a Wayalife!

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreenmachine12 View Post
    I need some ideas!

So I ended up purchasing a 1995 YJ from my friend who gave it to me for an amazing deal. It’s my first YJ. Other than a little TLC it’s a solid Jeep. I need some ideas for it! It’s a 2.5 5spd.

Awesome Jeep. You should do a V8, Dynatrac 60s, and a coil spring conversion.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Awesome Jeep. You should do a V8, Dynatrac 60s, and a coil spring conversion.
    Drag Jeep....

IMG_1063.jpg

Also see if you can extend that stinger out a couple of feet. Itís way too small right now.

Lol but really, congrats on the YJ.

Sell it and buy something with round headlights. Lol.

I say small block, axles, atlas and 35ís.

Mine also has the 4-cylinder. If you're going to keep it, gearing is your friend! Keep the engine in a good state of tune but don't throw ANY money at performance parts. The only part you WILL have to watch out for is the rear axle. D35's have a flexy housing that eats up R&P's and blows the c-clip axle shafts if you put bigger tires on it. Look into the Ford Explorer 8.8 swap. Equivalent strength to a D44, 31 spline axles, factory disk brakes and it's practically a bolt-in. That plus your HP D30 front axle will run a 35" (37's if you're mostly in the mud) tire if you don't beat on it too hard, lol. Anything bigger than that, go straight to a set of one-ton axles.

If you want modern power, there are LOTS of engine swap possibilities. Let your desire and budget be your guide As you add armor to your Jeep, the weight will run up quicker than you realize and there won't be enough gearing in the world to keep the 4-cyl happy. Especially if you want to be able to run at highway speeds.

Lift wise, there are plenty of bolt-on kits that can work pretty decently. I'm running an old-school Trail Master lift that we tuned by adding/removing leafs. It came with 5 leafs per pack and I'm down to 3fr/4rr. Ride and articulation is greatly improved. If you step up to ton's, ditch the leaf springs and install a good link setup with coilovers.

For tire clearance, install a set of factory TJ flares. It's a common mod that will give you quite a bit larger wheel opening. Here's a comparison pic:

YJ flares vs TJ flares.jpg

Here's ours. 1995, 2.5/auto, 4.88's, Spartan locker in ft axle, 4" TM lift (softened to about 3"), 1.25" body lift, TJ flares, 35's on 15x10's. Nothing fancy but it's served us well for a lot of years.

Having fun on the Kane Kreek Trail.

40632916_10156646804856703_6543791719551336448_n.jpg

40644813_10156646800891703_788252225393655808_n.jpg
    Direction, then velocity.

Nothing but a Thing Saharaunlmtd's Avatar
    Congrats. My old YJ had the same wheels in circa 2000... Iíd normally say start with TJ flares and a sawzaw but apparently flares arenít essential in your state.

Hooked
    Congrats on the YJ. I also used to have a 95 5 speed 4 banger. Sold it in 2001 I think. Man, we had some good times in that Jeep!

It would top out at about 65 mph on flat roads... damned 4 cylinder just wasnít enough on the road but got the job done off it!!!!

Enjoy!!!

Love the YJ. The silhouette very closely resembles the cj2. I owned one for about a month when someone made me an offer too good to turn down. Your combo will make a great project.

if it ain't broke!