Lockers?

DLowe27

So I have a TJ right now that has Detroit lockers in them. They are great for the trail and even in the summer not that bad... My question is do any of you guys run air lockers or E-lockers. I'm debating on making the switch so I can drive my Jeep in the winter with a little more ease.. maybe some safety but mostly ease. What do you guys think Ill be honest if there is a thread with this discussion on it you can point me in that direction also.

Also I'm running an 8.8 in the rear

DLowe27

ARB would go nice with a compressor for tires or tools unless you already one in which case your a step ahead.

I was looking at the ARB lockers and most likely are going to go with them. I have only heard great things about them just was looking for input if anyone has ran both.

One problem with air on a TJ is room my JK its easy to pack... but I agree using for tools and tires is key.

Thanks

jdofmemi

I ran Detroit lockers before, and on snow and ice it is certainly a challenge.

Air lockers are the way to go for me. My JK has e-lockers, but for aftermarket, ARB is the one. Mild manners on the street, and fully locked when you need it.

I pulled out my lunchbox Spartans out a couple years ago and went Detroit locker in front and Detroit Truetrac in back while regearing. Simply because my wife hates the clicking when turning.
Now, crawling the TJ does great, even with the limited slip truetrac in back.
If I had to do it again I'd spend the extra $500 an axle and go with E lockers. Because of the cool factor. Otherwise it's just not necessary for us. But my jeep has never seen snow.
ARBs are nice. But for me, TJ space limitations and air line issues make the Elocker a much easier install with no air lines to hassle with or be concerned about.
To each his own.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
The TJ has the perfect spot for an Arb compressor, driver side, back against the firewall is a blank plate that you can mount it too. Easily accessible, plenty of room. I don’t have a picture.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

kep01

When I built my tj I went with Yukon zip lockers and gears and arb compressor. Yukon at the time offered a 5 year gear and locker warranty if combined together at time of purchase. They worked great and engaged quietly as well.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
ARB for sure. As long as install is clean you won't have to worry about air line leaks.
I looked seriously at the e-lockers before I did mine as well. Too many accounts of them being finicky for my taste. Plus IF you do have some sort of leak the ARB will most likely still engage, it will just cycle the compressor to keep the needed pressure.

Top Bottom