Seized control arm advice needed

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I’m seeking advice as to how to unseize my rear lower control arms. They’re EVO adjustable control arms from their double duty long arm lift. The adjusters are completely seized and have been for some time. I’ve soaked them with PB blaster and tried a very large pipe wrench but can’t get them to turn. I also tried using a torch on them but it’s just a cheap-o one from Home Depot. I have the old style collars that use spammer wrench to turn so a standard crescent won’t work. I would like to switch these collars out with the new hex style ones. EVO sells replacement arms but they are $400 each. Any thoughts? Should I invest in a bigger torch? Put them in the oven? Lol. The Johnny joints are twisted and seized in opposite directions either end.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

More leverage? A 5’ pipe over the wrench handle can make a huge difference.
If that doesn't work use a 12' pipe. 😎

I bought my arms used and I couldn't break the rust (I'm not gonna give you assholes the satisfaction of saying bust the nut 😂🤣) either due to a bad shoulder I had at the time. I had a shop install them while they did my gears and they ended up having to use a super long extension and heat to finally break them loose.

When you finally get them loose, antiseize is your friend. 🤪

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

jdofmemi

I will add that while using heat and pressure from a long handle wrench, have someone hit the arm with a BFH. The shock will help break the rust and get things moving.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Getting a grip on those will suck. A big ass pipe wrench should do the trick. It’ll destroy the collar but it won’t matter if your replacing them.

Braxtonsag

iv had this happen on coilover perches before, ended up having to dremel through the spanner nut and separate it with a flat head screwdriver

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I’m seeking advice as to how to unseize my rear lower control arms. They’re EVO adjustable control arms from their double duty long arm lift. The adjusters are completely seized and have been for some time. I’ve soaked them with PB blaster and tried a very large pipe wrench but can’t get them to turn. I also tried using a torch on them but it’s just a cheap-o one from Home Depot. I have the old style collars that use spammer wrench to turn so a standard crescent won’t work. I would like to switch these collars out with the new hex style ones. EVO sells replacement arms but they are $400 each. Any thoughts? Should I invest in a bigger torch? Put them in the oven? Lol. The Johnny joints are twisted and seized in opposite directions either end.

Try some wax. I’ve used it successfully many times at work when penetrating oils wouldn’t do the trick. Heat up the part, in your case the adjuster, and melt wax down into the threads. Keep in mind the wax will flow toward the heat source so position the torch accordingly. You don’t want it to get so hot it burns the wax out. Just enough to melt it and suck it back into the threads. I’d try this method before you put a ton of leverage and end up breaking something.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Try some wax. I’ve used it successfully many times at work when penetrating oils wouldn’t do the trick. Heat up the part, in your case the adjuster, and melt wax down into the threads. Keep in mind the wax will flow toward the heat source so position the torch accordingly. You don’t want it to get so hot it burns the wax out. Just enough to melt it and suck it back into the threads. I’d try this method before you put a ton of leverage and end up breaking something.

that's f'n interesting.... never heard of doing that before.

BaddestCross

Learn something every day. 👍

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug

That's a pretty interesting tip, I've never heard that before👍

98XJ06LJ

Not sure how cold it is in Albuquerque, let mother nature give you a hand. Try the tips from earlier posts immediately after letting the Jeep sit out in the cold. Heat only the collar and the temperature variance should help with all of the previous advice.

Also never heard of the wax trick, I'll have to try that in the future.
Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
I had a rear upper seize up on me. I just contacted the company and they sent me a new control arm. Granted it wasn't the same manufacture as yours but might be worth a call.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Thanks for all the suggestions. If I get a chance this weekend I’m goin to try a few things like the wax trick. Temps have been in the high 20s in the mornings so I might try the hot cold tip suggested. I could cut the collar but the way these adjusters are designed I don’t think it would help. The collar is attached to a threaded rod that screwed into the control arm. Theoretically this allow for the arm length to be adjusted without removing from the axle mounting point. Incidentally I don’t think they are seized due to rust but more likely due to fine particles of dirt. I could be wrong on this, but New Mexico doesn’t see much rain and there’s dirt EVERYWHERE lol.

Last edited:

Coop

Caught the Bug
I gotta try the wax method. That is a new one to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

desertrunner

Not that it hasn't already been said but when I re did the arms on my old JK my rock krawler arms were seized just like your describing and what finally broke them loose for me was days of PB blaster heating and then I stuck the pointy end of a spud wrench in the bolt hole and beat the shit out of it with a BFH back and forth with the arm in a vice. I'm sure it wasn't easy on the joint and it was an ugly process but I eventually got them to turn. Not sure with the Evo arms if you can turn them by the joint but that's what I did

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speedy_RCW

Hooked

Curious if you ever got this apart and if you tried to wax method?

Top Bottom