Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seized control arm advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy_RCW View Post
    Try some wax. Iíve used it successfully many times at work when penetrating oils wouldnít do the trick. Heat up the part, in your case the adjuster, and melt wax down into the threads. Keep in mind the wax will flow toward the heat source so position the torch accordingly. You donít want it to get so hot it burns the wax out. Just enough to melt it and suck it back into the threads. Iíd try this method before you put a ton of leverage and end up breaking something.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    That's a pretty interesting tip, I've never heard that before👍

If itís just the collar thatís seized, maybe just try to cut it off.

Not sure how cold it is in Albuquerque, let mother nature give you a hand. Try the tips from earlier posts immediately after letting the Jeep sit out in the cold. Heat only the collar and the temperature variance should help with all of the previous advice.

Also never heard of the wax trick, I'll have to try that in the future.
    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Last edited by 98XJ06LJ; 01-30-2019 at 03:05 PM.

The Original Smartass piginajeep's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiend View Post
    If itís just the collar thatís seized, maybe just try to cut it off.

This isnít a bad idea. If you cut the collar off, I bet you cab pry the inside sleeve out. Itís cut in the middle
    2012 JK8
    1958 FC170 (Jeep Forward Control)
    1953 M38A1

Been Around the Block shadowpaige64507's Avatar
    I had a rear upper seize up on me. I just contacted the company and they sent me a new control arm. Granted it wasn't the same manufacture as yours but might be worth a call.

Nothing but a Thing nmwranglerx's Avatar

Seized control arm advice needed

Thanks for all the suggestions. If I get a chance this weekend Iím goin to try a few things like the wax trick. Temps have been in the high 20s in the mornings so I might try the hot cold tip suggested. I could cut the collar but the way these adjusters are designed I donít think it would help. The collar is attached to a threaded rod that screwed into the control arm. Theoretically this allow for the arm length to be adjusted without removing from the axle mounting point. Incidentally I donít think they are seized due to rust but more likely due to fine particles of dirt. I could be wrong on this, but New Mexico doesnít see much rain and thereís dirt EVERYWHERE lol.

Last edited by nmwranglerx; 01-30-2019 at 11:49 PM.
    "all roads lead somewhere" -anonymous

I gotta try the wax method. That is a new one to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nothing but a Thing desertrunner's Avatar
    Not that it hasn't already been said but when I re did the arms on my old JK my rock krawler arms were seized just like your describing and what finally broke them loose for me was days of PB blaster heating and then I stuck the pointy end of a spud wrench in the bolt hole and beat the shit out of it with a BFH back and forth with the arm in a vice. I'm sure it wasn't easy on the joint and it was an ugly process but I eventually got them to turn. Not sure with the Evo arms if you can turn them by the joint but that's what I did

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app
    12' 2dr Gecko Sport 6 speed
    PR44, ARBs, 4.88s, 35 spline rear, Adams 1350 Front & Rear, Rubi T-case, Rubi sway bar + Evo no limits, Evo armor & skids, 37/13.50" Cooper STT Pro, Evo 2" plush / OME med duty springs

***SOLD*** 08' JKU Rubicon 6-speed Stone White, 3.5" RK lift, 37" KM2s and lots more.
    ***CURRENT DD*** 16' F150

Quote Originally Posted by nmwranglerx View Post
    Iím seeking advice as to how to unseize my rear lower control arms. Theyíre EVO adjustable control arms from their double duty long arm lift. The adjusters are completely seized and have been for some time. Iíve soaked them with PB blaster and tried a very large pipe wrench but canít get them to turn. I also tried using a torch on them but itís just a cheap-o one from Home Depot. I have the old style collars that use spammer wrench to turn so a standard crescent wonít work. I would like to switch these collars out with the new hex style ones. EVO sells replacement arms but they are $400 each. Any thoughts? Should I invest in a bigger torch? Put them in the oven? Lol. The Johnny joints are twisted and seized in opposite directions either end.

Curious if you ever got this apart and if you tried to wax method?

Nothing but a Thing nmwranglerx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy_RCW View Post
    Curious if you ever got this apart and if you tried to wax method?

Iíve been to busy with work to try yet. I might have time this weekend. Iíll post up results afterwards.

"all roads lead somewhere" -anonymous

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12