Infant car seats

TheGrendel

what have people run?

i learned 2 things about my Jeep last night. 1) the backseat is truly a pain to get a car seat in securely. the angles are all wrong. 2) i'll be staying at 35s for the foreseeable future. really glad i didn't jump to 37s. otherwise, i'd be screwed getting a kid in and out as i am height limited. :cheesy:

WJCO

Meme King
Get one with a detatchable base. That way the base stays buckled into the Jeep at all times. One or two button clicks and you can pull the upper part out with the baby already in it. Very simple. Was very convenient for us. I honestly can't remember which brands we had.

311662_16080_L.jpg

Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Get one with a detatchable base. That way the base stays buckled into the Jeep at all times. One or two button clicks and you can pull the upper part out with the baby already in it. Very simple. Was very convenient for us. I honestly can't remember which brands we had.

That type was recommended to me by a coworker. I didn’t realize car seats had expiration dates, either.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I didn’t realize car seats had expiration dates, either.

Yep. I learned a lot too about these things. Also getting one used from someone you don't know can be sketchy. If vehicle has ever been in an accident, supposedly car seats can be cracked internally and no one knows (similar to a bike helmet after a crash). A lot of second-hand stores won't even take used car seats.

TheGrendel

my brother gave me one of their convertibles. no wrecks and still good on expiration. but, it's really too big in the reverse. going to need an infant style with a base for sure.

98XJ06LJ

Not trying to Brand drop or anyting, but we use the Graco SnugRide snuglock system. It has been working very well as the car seat interchanges with the stroller and we have a base in each vehicle. I know there are other manufacturers that offer similar systems.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
my brother gave me one of their convertibles. no wrecks and still good on expiration. but, it's really too big in the reverse. going to need an infant style with a base for sure.

Order the back seat recliner spacers for the back seat. It will give you more room to get the seat in and out. You can get them on Amazon They also make a door strap limiter extension that can open the at a wider angle. That helps too. I’ve had two car seats in my JKU for the last five years. A lot of that on 37s and a 4.5” lift. You’ll manage just fine. Congrats, it is world changing in the very best way!

Braxtonsag

After having 2 kids I highly highly recomend grace snugride series, the base is detachable and it’s one of the easiest brands to remove the cover to wash if and when your child throws up etc. my wife’s generic and Walmart brand car seats she went through we’re not fun to mess with at all. Especially adjusting the harnesses

Bear_JT

Hooked
X2 for the rear door strap extensions. They will make your life 100% easier with loading and unloading a car seat. Especially if your doing it with full hands and on your own. Graco with the detachable base is also a must have.

Edit: We learned with our second child, a mirror on the head rest keeps them entertained and less cranky.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Yep. I learned a lot too about these things. Also getting one used from someone you don't know can be sketchy. If vehicle has ever been in an accident, supposedly car seats can be cracked internally and no one knows (similar to a bike helmet after a crash). A lot of second-hand stores won't even take used car seats.

That and used car seats are a cesspool of germs from barf, spilled and dropped food, etc.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I run a couple in my Jeep. It’s by far my favorite mod! [emoji106]. As mentioned the detachable base Graco works well. We have the Snugride like others and like it. But eventually you’ll have to go to a fixed one once the kiddo is heavy or tall enough. We have the Graco 4ever Extend2fit in my wife’s car which is really nice so I steal it and put it in the Jeep when I go wheeling. Keeps my sons head from moving much side to side. But normally I have the Graco Contender 65 in there which is okay. When it was rear facing it was a pain in the ass to reach the belt tension release button. But now it’s forward facing and not an issue. But I haven’t found any car seats that fit well and don’t push on the front seats when rear facing. But since you’re vertically challenged at least you don’t need your seat pushed back far. Friend of mine just had twins and had a 2 year old so he’s got three car seats wedged in the back of his JKU.

TheGrendel

I run a couple in my Jeep. It’s by far my favorite mod! [emoji106]. As mentioned the detachable base Graco works well. We have the Snugride like others and like it. But eventually you’ll have to go to a fixed one once the kiddo is heavy or tall enough. We have the Graco 4ever Extend2fit in my wife’s car which is really nice so I steal it and put it in the Jeep when I go wheeling. Keeps my sons head from moving much side to side. But normally I have the Graco Contender 65 in there which is okay. When it was rear facing it was a pain in the ass to reach the belt tension release button. But now it’s forward facing and not an issue. But I haven’t found any car seats that fit well and don’t push on the front seats when rear facing. But since you’re vertically challenged at least you don’t need your seat pushed back far. Friend of mine just had twins and had a 2 year old so he’s got three car seats wedged in the back of his JKU.

i can't even imagine.

we used the keyfit for my daughter three years ago and are using a new one for my 3 week old son.

The base stays in the vehicle and the carrier pops out with one button and snaps right into a stroller.

zimm

Caught the Bug
We used Chico Keyfit 30's for both boys. There's a folding lightweight stroller that it works with too. Extra bases for the other car and grandma's car too.

You'll barely get 2 years out of them before little baby is ready to face forward. Then we moved to bigger convertibles. Now we're in boosters.

I wish someone would have told me how quickly you move out of "baby phase" and have to ditch all the gear that we spent so much time and money researching for "the best".

Buy the book "baby bargains". Best money we spent being new parents.

jesse3638

Hooked
I had good luck with Britax car seats. I found when I used rear facing I actually put it in the middle and used one latch restraint from each side. Fit better that way. Also when she went to the full size forward facing it wouldn't sit right with the head rest. I found that if I collapsed the seat so the head rest folded back then held it I could get the car seat in nice and tight. With regards to accidents yes it's recommended they are replaced after one. There should be some red break away thread for the harness to act as a shock absorber. There is a sticker over it that tears if this happens. If it's torn its an indicator that it has been in an accident. If you provide a receipt to your insurance company they'll cut you a full refund check for it so you can buy a new one. My daughter is almost 12 and has been in 3 accidents...:crazyeyes: this is how I know that.

TheGrendel

I had good luck with Britax car seats. I found when I used rear facing I actually put it in the middle and used one latch restraint from each side. Fit better that way. Also when she went to the full size forward facing it wouldn't sit right with the head rest. I found that if I collapsed the seat so the head rest folded back then held it I could get the car seat in nice and tight. With regards to accidents yes it's recommended they are replaced after one. There should be some red break away thread for the harness to act as a shock absorber. There is a sticker over it that tears if this happens. If it's torn its an indicator that it has been in an accident. If you provide a receipt to your insurance company they'll cut you a full refund check for it so you can buy a new one. My daughter is almost 12 and has been in 3 accidents...:crazyeyes: this is how I know that.

Dang. One of my direct reports says he only uses Britax after his mother in law was tboned and rolled over with his son in a Britax. Kiddo only had a little bruising from the straps cause he was hanging upside down.

Last edited:

Andy5160

Hooked

I am with you on Britax. Used them since day one and they did work great for me. My six years old still using one.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Suds1485

I have the nuna pipa lite. In my 2 door with 37’s. It’s way easier then I thought, after reading all the horror stories. I can literally load my son from the passenger side with just the seat foreword. I find it’s easier to put him into my jk then it is to put him into my wife’s kk liberty.

Top Bottom