New 2014 JKU owner possible “newb” questions and advice

thedrunkencrane

Hey all, new user and new Jeep owner here with a few, please excuse ahead of time, possible “newb” questions. Coming from driving my raptor the last 5 years, I am loving the switch to my “new” Jeep.

There were some mods already done to my Jeep but since I got it from a used dealer they didn’t have a clear list or even what parts. It is obviously been lifted and on 35s but from what so can tell still with stock front Dana 30 and rear 44s. It seems from what I read that for 35s they should have upgraded the front axle? Or should I be ok?

I plan on finding a shop in the LA area to have it looked over, I’ve been reading a lot of mixed reviews about some of the local area shops though with some saying they are the best and other people giving a lot of hate so haven’t decided on that yet. If any experienced Los Angeles area Jeep owner wants to lend a hand with giving my new Jeep a test drive and see if it’s all good ;)

I thought I heard some rubbing the other day when I had a passenger in my car and turning in a parking lot, but haven’t heard it when riding solo, I’m not sure what height lift has been put on it. Any easy way to tell what height lift was put on? Measuring the coil springs?

Is Jeep steering typically very loose? I’m sure it’s just gonna take some tome adjusting from the ride of a Raptor to Jeep. The Jeep definitely seems to bounce around a lot more just driving down the street and feeling the slightest imperfection in the road, just want to know if that’s the normal ride.

I suppose that is all for now. Thanks for any advice you are willing to give a fellow new Jeep owner. IMG_3622.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Hey all, new user and new Jeep owner here with a few, please excuse ahead of time, possible “newb” questions. Coming from driving my raptor the last 5 years, I am loving the switch to my “new” Jeep.

There were some mods already done to my Jeep but since I got it from a used dealer they didn’t have a clear list or even what parts. It is obviously been lifted and on 35s but from what so can tell still with stock front Dana 30 and rear 44s. It seems from what I read that for 35s they should have upgraded the front axle? Or should I be ok?

I plan on finding a shop in the LA area to have it looked over, I’ve been reading a lot of mixed reviews about some of the local area shops though with some saying they are the best and other people giving a lot of hate so haven’t decided on that yet. If any experienced Los Angeles area Jeep owner wants to lend a hand with giving my new Jeep a test drive and see if it’s all good ;)

I thought I heard some rubbing the other day when I had a passenger in my car and turning in a parking lot, but haven’t heard it when riding solo, I’m not sure what height lift has been put on it. Any easy way to tell what height lift was put on? Measuring the coil springs?

Is Jeep steering typically very loose? I’m sure it’s just gonna take some tome adjusting from the ride of a Raptor to Jeep. The Jeep definitely seems to bounce around a lot more just driving down the street and feeling the slightest imperfection in the road, just want to know if that’s the normal ride.

I suppose that is all for now. Thanks for any advice you are willing to give a fellow new Jeep owner. View attachment 320073

Sure it will be a different ride than the Raptor. Solid axles vs Independent suspension. As far as rubbing it shouldn't be hard to find indicators if you crawl around under your jeep. Take some pictures maybe somebody could tell you what you have. Stiff springs are going bounce or feel harsh. Adjustable or selectable shocks would help with that.
Also check your tire pressure could be to high. I think I run about 28psi it does help. Google tire chalk test.

Last edited:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
You can determine how much lift you have. Use this as reference point from where it was stock.
IMG_8689.JPG
As far as “loose” steering, sure it’ll feel different than the raptor. Depending on the lift height and lift kit that was installed. Your caster might not have been corrected to where it is supposed to be, causing the feeling of “wandering” or “loose” steering. You also need to make sure that your drag link and track bar are as close and/or parallel with each other, as it will cause bump steer.

Give this a read
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

wjtstudios

Hooked
Softer springs like the EVO plush rides should help the ride too. Depending on lift that was installed, a drag link flip might help your steering feel “tighter” less flighty. Like the guys said, take a bunch of pictures of the suspension, mostly from the front and of the springs. We’ll be able to help more from that.

Welcome from Detroit

thedrunkencrane

Thanks guys, I’ll take some pics this weekend! I expected it would be an adjustment just wanted to know if what I was feeling was normal and also to make sure that when the previous owner went to 35s that everything was done correctly. That Stock JK diagram is great, thanks!

Top Bottom