King of the Hammers 2019

CalSgt

Hooked
Yup... Meeting up with the gang at 5 AM to caravan down, gonna be a long 12 hour drive. Too bad I'm leaving the Jeep behind and taking the RZR, but then again I can't haul the fifth wheel down with the jeep.

trailer.jpg

PATRIOTKJM

I wish, my boss is heading out there and running with the canam no limit team. Can’t wait to see how Jordan does in his new ultra4, triton built him a very competitive car!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Youtube coverage last year made it so much easier to watch than being there...haha. Especially since the last time I actually went I was walking around on a broken leg and didn't know it.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

98XJ06LJ

Lol, we had fun last year but just couldn’t make myself go this year. The jack ass spectators ruined it for me.

I've never been to hammers but I imagine it's the same as X Games. Aspen is a mad house during X Games, never again. Way to many people, the whole thing is so spread out it's a pain in the ass to get from one spot to another and even if you can get there there are too many people to see anything. TV coverage is so good these days that going to the event and fighting the crowds is hardly worth it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

Exodus 4x4

I've never been to hammers but I imagine it's the same as X Games. Aspen is a mad house during X Games, never again. Way to many people, the whole thing is so spread out it's a pain in the ass to get from one spot to another and even if you can get there there are too many people to see anything. TV coverage is so good these days that going to the event and fighting the crowds is hardly worth it.

The number of people didn’t bother me. It’s was the quality of people. Most people there are probably great, but all it takes is a few assholes to ruin it. I was working recovery on Chocolate Thunder and first thing in the morning we would have to walk the obstacle to clean all the trash up and hide it from the cameras. The concern is that some tree hugger is going to see the trash on the video and then the BLM is going to start hearing about it. I think it’s a legit concern and wouldn’t be surprised if it causes some serious changes down the road.

fiend

Caught the Bug
The number of people didn’t bother me. It’s was the quality of people. Most people there are probably great, but all it takes is a few assholes to ruin it. I was working recovery on Chocolate Thunder and first thing in the morning we would have to walk the obstacle to clean all the trash up and hide it from the cameras. The concern is that some tree hugger is going to see the trash on the video and then the BLM is going to start hearing about it. I think it’s a legit concern and wouldn’t be surprised if it causes some serious changes down the road.

So who are the assholes in that scenario? The treehuggers or the people leaving trash all over the place?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Actually, one of the very very few times I agree with treehuggers is when it comes to litter. Absolutely zero excuse for it. Pack it in, pack it out. Period.

:applaudit: "Preach on brother!"

I will never understand the fascination so MANY people have with choosing to bring something for themselves to enjoy, consuming it, then throwing it out into nature like the WORLD is their personal garbage bin...

Last edited:

98XJ06LJ

Actually, one of the very very few times I agree with treehuggers is when it comes to litter. Absolutely zero excuse for it. Pack it in, pack it out. Period.
Agreed!

I will never understand the fascination so MANY people have with choosing to bring something for themselves to enjoy, consuming it, then throwing it out into nature like the WORLD is there personal garbage can...
Selfish and disrespectful for sure.

The only time I found trash at an event and wasn't pissed is when I found these tucked in the rocks at devil's playground on Pike's Peak during the PPIHC race.
IMG_20120812_144741.jpg
One was a pull tab and the other was the type you had to have a can opener to puncture the lid. Kinda cool find.

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug

I will never understand the fascination so MANY people have with choosing to bring something for themselves to enjoy, consuming it, then throwing it out into nature like the WORLD is their personal garbage bin...

I couldn’t agree anymore with this. Ignorance is bliss :idontknow:

PATRIOTKJM

It all comes down to how they were raised. My dad always made me clean up before and after at very desert trip, I do the same with my kids. Unfortunately we see other parents just let their kids go wild and use the desert like it’s a dump, these kids grow up and continue in their ways. My buddy has a cabin that backs up to KOH and they spend most of the week just trying to keep people in line and stop them from littering and driving over what few plants are left around their cabin.

BaddestCross

Did you have a bad experience or ? I know it can be VERY crowded.

This 👇 ...Too many drunk idiots roaring around the lake bed and making a scene on the route.
Lol, we had fun last year but just couldn’t make myself go this year. The jack ass spectators ruined it for me.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Exodus 4x4

Not sure what’s assholish about expecting a private event promoter using public land to keep things tidy.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect people to wipe their own ass. The promoter put the trash there by holding the event and allowing the public to participate, I understand that. There’s a difference though between accidentally dropping a piece of a wrapper, and throwing EVERY single empty beer can over the barrier tape and into the trail. There’s a lot of that happening and it’s only a matter of time before the promoter has to get stupid strict about it. I wouldn’t be surprised if they stop allowing alcohol altogether.

The real shit storm happens at night and that has nothing to do with the promoter since it’s open to the public, so I guess it all comes down to the asshole and his trash. Even without the event, the asshole and his trash still exist. One did not create the other. So whether or not KOH happens, the threat of drunken hillbilly’s throwing trash all over BLM land will continue to persist. People just need to be decent.

Top Bottom