VIDEO : ROADSIDE REPAIR - How to FIX an Atlas Shift Lever Rattle

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're one of the few out there who actually drive a built up Jeep (this as opposed to towing everywhere) or any rig for that matter and have an Atlas transfer case, there may come a day when you find that the shift levers will start rattle or vibrate loudly. This typically happens when decelerating after passing a car or truck on the highway and at speeds of over 80 MPH. Also, the vibration will mainly come from the shift lever that engages front wheel drive and that usually gets people looking for the problem in all the wrong places. In this short video, you'll get to see what I'm talking about, what the problem really is and how you can fix it, even while out on the road. I hope you find this episode of ROADSIDE REPAIR to be helpful.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

:cool:

WIN a Pair of NEW WAYALIFE Shot Glasses!!
If you'd like a chance at WINNING a pair of all NEW WAYALIFE Shot Glasses, all you have to do is post up a response on this thread and let us know what you think of the video. Doing this will automatically enter into our new drawing and a WINNER will be selected at random and announced before our next video release. :cool:

IMG_3903.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS to Strainger for WINNING the shotglasses!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Gotta love how something so simple can turn people down the wrong road and lead to tons of issues. Glad to see it’s such a simple fix! Thanks for the video

fiend

Caught the Bug
Nicely done. But as soon as you said the problem occurs when you deccelerate from 90 mph, I knew I’d never have the worry about it. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Gotta love how something so simple can turn people down the wrong road and lead to tons of issues. Glad to see it’s such a simple fix! Thanks for the video

It's tough because this is a common problem but a misleading one. Most people assume the problem resides in the transfer case shift levers or that the problem is a caused by the front drive shaft being that's the lever that rattles. Also, the rear pinion nut can be off by just a few foot pounds and on really tight and still cause this problem. It took me quite a bit of research years ago to figure this one out and thought this video could be helpful to others.

Nicely done. But as soon as you said the problem occurs when you deccelerate from 90 mph, I knew I’d never have the worry about it. [emoji23]

Haha yeah I've gotten to 85 but that's about it. Simple fix bit a lot of undoing to get to.

LOL!! Clearly, this isn't a normal Jeep problem but one that some may experience with the right engine under the hood :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have another leak or was this filmed when you had the transfer case leak awhile back?

LOL - It's the same leak, I just never got around to fixing it. I'd literally have to remove the entire long arm system up front before I could even begin to pull the transfer case and that's what would need to happen to get to the input shaft seal. Aside from the mess, it's really not that big of a deal especially being that I have a sight tube.

Brute

Hooked
Cool video...you never know when a cowboy with saddlebags full of tools will show up to help...

I've never noticed if my front Atlas shift lever is vibrating since it's so loud inside my cab, but I'm going check next time I spool it up on the on ramp...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Cool video...you never know when a cowboy with saddlebags full of tools will show up to help...

I've never noticed if my front Atlas shift lever is vibrating since it's so loud inside my cab, but I'm going check next time I spool it up on the on ramp...

:cheesy: I know, right? When he asked if I had everything I needed, I almost asked if he actually had tools that might be of help on him. :crazyeyes:

Trust me, you'd know it if your output shaft nut was loose. And by loose, I mean it could be on 120 ft lbs of torque - maybe more like, backed off a bit.

Rocralr

Hi. Thanks for all the good info. Question. What size ammo cans are you using to carry your fluids. Thanks.

jdofmemi

That was a nice simple fix. I can see where most people would chase the wrong end looking the problem.

How did you figure out what the real problem was?

This also shows the value of never leaving without being prepared to work on most anything.

jeeeep

Hooked
Moby sounds great!

easy enough fix, wondering if the same thing could be on the 3.8 JK?

I've noticed a slight shake when letting off the gas pedal at higher speeds...my fix has been to not go so fast lol

definitely going to make the check since it's so simple, thanks! :thumb:

Top Bottom