Coilovers

mallavoider

Hello people,
I’m looking into switching to coil overs (Kings). I am not sure if I will end up with more flex than I currently have. That is what I’m after.
I’m not sure that it is the right way to go. I understand the ability to change rode hight, but once set are they really worth the expense? Or am I better off with some good shocks.
My current set up is 3.5” lift and running rebranded Bilstein shocks (Rubicon Express) made for the lift. I was told to simply go to a longer shock to get a longer articulation. Is that right? I’m running also 37’s and front and rear antirock sway bar.
Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mallavoider

Hello people,
I’m looking into switching to coil overs (Kings). I am not sure if I will end up with more flex than I currently have. That is what I’m after.
I’m not sure that it is the right way to go. I understand the ability to change rode hight, but once set are they really worth the expense? Or am I better off with some good shocks.
My current set up is 3.5” lift and running rebranded Bilstein shocks (Rubicon Express) made for the lift. I was told to simply go to a longer shock to get a longer articulation. Is that right? I’m running also 37’s and front and rear antirock sway bar.
Thoughts?

Thank you Auto correct. Coilovers

mallavoider

We'd really need to know more about your current setup and end goal to be able to offer any help.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

I have a 2015 JKU started as a Sahara. Currently running a 3.5
Suspension lift. RE short arms (upper & lowers front & rear adj) 1310 front and rear drive shaft. PR44 front. Stock Dana 44 housing rear. RCV axles up front (35 spline) and G2 axles on the rear. ARB air lockers front and rear. Currie Antirock sway bar front and rear.
I like to poly on the rocks, and I found out that several times I’m lacking of suspension travel. I feel that I am limiting my rig’s ability with what I have currently.
It is my understanding that long arms will not necessarily extended my wheel travel. In essence more droop.

mallavoider

The trails that I have gone thru and enjoyed Rubicon, Moab and SoCal Big Bear area ( for those of you familiar with the area JB, Holcomb, Dishpan)

BaddestCross

First, I'd probably go with arms that have better ends on them that won't bind (ie: Jonnie Joints) and go back to stock sway bars. The Anti Rocks limit your travel and arms with poly bushings will bind at extreme droop.

Once you've got your binding issues fixed you can focus on getting more droop with longer shocks and/or EVO Rock Stars.

You heard correctly... Long arms aren't for flex, they're for a better highway ride.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

mallavoider

First, I'd probably go with arms that have better ends on them that won't bind (ie: Jonnie Joints) and go back to stock sway bars. The Anti Rocks limit your travel and arms with poly bushings will bind at extreme droop.

Once you've got your binding issues fixed you can focus on getting more droop with longer shocks and/or EVO Rock Stars.

You heard correctly... Long arms aren't for flex, they're for a better highway ride.

--

Make sense on the arms. Definitely starting there. Thank you
As for the anti rock sway bars tho, it does help pushing the lower tire (on the same axle) on the ground more so than an open axle (front or rear). I think that is an helping factor while off-roading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
As for the anti rock sway bars tho, it does help pushing the lower tire (on the same axle) on the ground more so than an open axle (front or rear). I think that is an helping factor while off-roading.

What?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug

Honestly it actually pushes down on the higher tire. It’s a reaaally soft sway bar but it is still trying to level your axle back out. I had one, loved it and thought it was great. Then I did a big Moab trip and ran trails that I had done before and realized the anti-rock seemed to be making the Jeep more tippy in steep twisted positions.
Went to a Rubi sway bar and Evo no limits after that and never looked back.

YDAJC

Talking with Chaos Fab Shop,
I am convinced that coil overs are the way to go for better quality of ride and suspension compliance to obsticals providing they are set up correctly. I am also going EVO long arms to replace the current MC 4.5 game changer for better ride on the street reducing axle steer. to yoru thoughts on droop, Droop is controled by shock length, valving and swaybar type/disconnect. You might get more flex with a rod end type join it think it depends on how much travel you will have. with a 3.5 inch lift on short arms travel will be around 11-12 inches before the geometry goes haywire.

fiend

Caught the Bug

Rubicon Express says they have “super flex” joints on at least some of their control arms. From the website, those look like a Johnny Joint knockoff. If you have these and they are any good, then joint flex may not be your issue.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly it actually pushes down on the higher tire. It’s a reaaally soft sway bar but it is still trying to level your axle back out. I had one, loved it and thought it was great. Then I did a big Moab trip and ran trails that I had done before and realized the anti-rock seemed to be making the Jeep more tippy in steep twisted positions.
Went to a Rubi sway bar and Evo no limits after that and never looked back.

This ^^^^

If all you do is bomb across the desert, I could see how one might want the extra stability that Antirocks provide. However, when it comes to flex, an Antirock WILL LIMIT it. I have personally done a side by side apples to apple test and seen how much of a difference it makes and in the negative.

MericaMade

This ^^^^

If all you do is bomb across the desert, I could see how one might want the extra stability that Antirocks provide. However, when it comes to flex, an Antirock WILL LIMIT it. I have personally done a side by side apples to apple test and seen how much of a difference it makes and in the negative.

Did you happen to make a post or video with the results? I want to show a friend who will argue to the death the anti-rocks are better all around and give you more flex.

fiend

Caught the Bug
This ^^^^

Is the arm on the antirock shorter than the arm (the roughly horizontal part) of a stock sway bar? If so, I could see how the antirock could limit flex.

jdofmemi

This ^^^^

This is right☝️

On a run a couple of weeks ago, one rig in our group had Anti Rock sway bars, and while the other five or six of us kept all four on the ground dropping down a waterfall, he had the right rear nearly four feet off the ground. We thought he was going over, and I got there just in time to grab hold, or he might have.
The main difference in his set up was the Anti Rock.

On a run a year ago, there was an RTI ramp, and the guy I wheeled with had coil overs and Anti Rock. I have a basic 3" EVO lift.
My Jeep went 1000, his went 700 on the ramp.
We disconnected his front Anti Rock and ran again and he got slightly over 1000.

To me, they are too soft on the road, and too hard crawling. The worst of both worlds.

Maybe you can find a Rubicon sway bar and put on.

mallavoider

This is right[emoji3516]

On a run a couple of weeks ago, one rig in our group had Anti Rock sway bars, and while the other five or six of us kept all four on the ground dropping down a waterfall, he had the right rear nearly four feet off the ground. We thought he was going over, and I got there just in time to grab hold, or he might have.
The main difference in his set up was the Anti Rock.

On a run a year ago, there was an RTI ramp, and the guy I wheeled with had coil overs and Anti Rock. I have a basic 3" EVO lift.
My Jeep went 1000, his went 700 on the ramp.
We disconnected his front Anti Rock and ran again and he got slightly over 1000.

To me, they are too soft on the road, and too hard crawling. The worst of both worlds.

Maybe you can find a Rubicon sway bar and put on.

Thank you to all.

Top Bottom