Selec-Trac vs Roc-trac

8flat

Hi gents (and gals), newbie here. I did a search but am not finding this so forgive me if it's been discussed.

Looking at a new 2019 JLU, either Rubicon or Moab. Looks like a Moab can be optioned with the Selec-trac. We live in Montana, and have loved auto 4WD (in our pickups) for highway trips where we have intermittent dry pavement and then icy hills, etc.

BUT.......my 2011 ram 1500 transfer case is a pile of dung when stuck in snow or mud. T-case never truly locks into 4wd when set to "4wd lock", and I've owned it since new. So getting stuck is an infuriating sequence of the case banging in and out of 4wd as it engages and 1second later disengages the front driveshaft. Sounds like I'm doing neutral drops and it's 10seconds away from the entire drivetrain falling into the mud quivering like a dead chicken.

I do not want a jeep with this issue. Does the selec-trac case truly lock in, and stay locked, when shifted to "4wd part time"?? If not, I'm going with a rock-trac and skipping the Auto4wd feature.

Thanks!

Ddays

Hooked
Edited my response. I read too fast. I have no experience with the select-a trac although I do have an AWD system in my Durango that works great.
Still, I'd rather stick to the standard t-cases.

Last edited:

8flat

Edited my response. I read too fast. I have no experience with the select-a trac although I do have an AWD system in my Durango that works great.
Still, I'd rather stick to the standard t-cases.

I hear ya. My biggest concern with the the rubi's rock-trac is my wife forgetting to take it out of 4WD when the highway goes from icy to bare, and that's not good, haha.

Also, it doesn't look like the selec-trac (MP3022) can also be optioned with the lockers option?

Ddays

Hooked
I hear ya. My biggest concern with the the rubi's rock-trac is my wife forgetting to take it out of 4WD when the highway goes from icy to bare, and that's not good, haha.

Also, it doesn't look like the selec-trac (MP3022) can also be optioned with the lockers option?

There is that, but unless she's doing really tight slow turns it should be ok for shorter distances.
And you are correct - lockers only available from factory with the Rock-Trac t-case as part of the Rubicon package.

8flat

There is that, but unless she's doing really tight slow turns it should be ok for shorter distances.
And you are correct - lockers only available from factory with the Rock-Trac t-case as part of the Rubicon package.

I suppose, yes. THanks for the reply.
So maybe it would be best to get the selec-trac 3022 case, and just put aftermarket lockers in later?

Ddays

Hooked
I suppose, yes. THanks for the reply.
So maybe it would be best to get the selec-trac 3022 case, and just put aftermarket lockers in later?

If you're considering lockers why not just go with the Rubicon package now? The Moab is basically the cosmetic version of the Rubicon, meaning that its missing the tcase & lockers, axle disco as well as the "D44" front axle. I looked at it before ordering my Rubicon but for the difference in cost I decided to just go with the Rubi & be done.

8flat

If you're considering lockers why not just go with the Rubicon package now? The Moab is basically the cosmetic version of the Rubicon, meaning that its missing the tcase & lockers, axle disco as well as the "D44" front axle. I looked at it before ordering my Rubicon but for the difference in cost I decided to just go with the Rubi & be done.

Yeah I think that's the safest bet, thanks.

This might sound dumb, but I fight a lot of snow up here in the mountains. Seems like the low range case in a Rubi isn't going to do me any good when stuck in 3ft of snow (I need a lot of wheel speed). And in 4 Hi it doesn't allow the lockers to operate, is that correct? I see on here where someone made a bypass for a JK, so maybe it can be done on the JL also?

Brake operated "limited slip" is hot garbage when stuck in snow up to your anus. haha

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug

This might sound dumb, but I fight a lot of snow up here in the mountains. Seems like the low range case in a Rubi isn't going to do me any good when stuck in 3ft of snow (I need a lot of wheel speed). And in 4 Hi it doesn't allow the lockers to operate, is that correct? I see on here where someone made a bypass for a JK, so maybe it can be done on the JL also?

Brake operated "limited slip" is hot garbage when stuck in snow up to your anus. haha

A TAZER-JL will allow you to operate Rubicon lockers in 4Hi.

20190206_085403.jpg

jdofmemi

I hear you there on the limited slip. The key word is "limited".

One thing about the low range is you can run second or third gear to get the wheel speed you are looking for. Reverse is still slow, but if you stop before you dig in it is usually enough to back out.

Check the snow run pics on the show your snow thread.

View attachment 320472
I'm liking that!

There are a lot of times I would like to have just a locker in back and two wheel drive, as well as times like snow or light mud where it is nice to be locked, but need the speed of hi range.

fiend

Caught the Bug

You might look into a TrueTrac differential. I have heard they are good in snow and ice.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

8flat

View attachment 320472

Very cool! Will definitely be getting that. With good tires and both ends locked this thing will be unstoppable in 4Hi. I think the rock-trac 4Lo ratio would be pretty hard to get much wheel speed up, especially when a guy needs reverse when you're stuck. Thanks for the reply.

Top Bottom